At least a hundred dead in a fire during a wedding in Iraq

At least one hundred people died and about 150 suffered injuries and burns from a fire in a hall where a wedding was being held in Nineveh, Iraq, according to information from the Health Department of that province.

The first reports indicate that the incident occurred when fireworks were activated in the middle of the celebration in a room where flammable materials were found.

“Preliminary information indicates that fireworks were used during a wedding, which caused a fire in the hall,” civil defense authorities said in a statement published by the Arab network Al Jazeera.

“The fire caused some parts of the roof to collapse due to the use of highly flammable and low-cost construction materials,” the statement added.

Al Jazeera detailed that Iraqi federal authorities and those of the semi-autonomous Kurdish region of Iraq sent ambulances and medical teams to the scene of the fire.

The Iraqi Prime Minister, Mohamed Shia al Sudani, ordered the ministries of the Interior and Health to respond to the emergency that occurred in the town of Hamdaniya, in Nineveh. EFE

Disclaimer: If you need to update/edit/remove this news or article then please contact our support team Learn more
Share This:

J. A. Allen

Author, blogger, freelance writer. Hater of spiders. Drinker of wine. Mother of hellions.

Leave a Reply