Subsidy for long-term unemployed: requirements and how to collect the aid

We are going to explain to you how to request the Active Reintegration Income or (RAI), with which you can have an income of up to 501 euros per month for up to 11 months. This is aid for the long-term unemployed, but also for people with disabilities, returned emigrants, victims of gender violence and those of other types of domestic violence.

We are going to start the article by explaining What are the requirements to qualify for this aid?. And then, we are going to tell you what is the simple process by which you will be able to request it.

Requirements to access the RAI

We are going to start by specifying the general requirements to request this aid. We have already told you that it is intended for various types of unemployed, as these are the minimum requirements for all of them:

  • be unemployed
  • Be under 65 years of age
  • Not be entitled to any other contributory unemployment benefit, or other related aid.
  • That the income of the entire family unit, including children under 26 years of age, does not exceed 75% of the 1,080 euros of the minimum interprofessional salary.
  • Not having received other active insertion income.
  • Not have pensions or economic benefits from Social Security that are incompatible with work.
  • Not having a contributory disability pension, or if you do, that it is suspended.

Besides this, there are other specific requirements for RAI types that you are going to request. In each type, there will be a different retribution. We are going to try to summarize the requirements of each type of Active Reintegration Income.

  • long-term unemployed: You must be 45 years of age or older, be registered at the employment office and without work for 12 months or more, not having received an Active Reintegration Income in the previous 365 days, and have documentation of Active Job Search.
  • People with disabilities: You must be registered in the employment office and without work for 12 months or more, a degree of disability greater than 33%, and have documentation of Active Job Search.
  • returned emigrant: Having worked 6 months or more in the last six years since the last time you left Spain, being 45 years of age or older, having returned to Spain in the 12 months prior to the application, and not having received a Active Insertion Income.
  • Victims of gender violence or other domestic violence: Have accredited status as a victim of gender or domestic violence, and not receive social assistance for not being able to participate in employment programs.

How to apply for help


To apply for help, all you have to do is Enter the SEPE benefit application website, clicking on this link. In it, on the page where you are going, go down to the end of the text and click on Access to Requests.


This will take you through a process of verifying your identity. In it, you’re going to have to log in with one of the official methods to do so, which are the electronic ID, digital certificate or the [email protected] PIN system.

Once you have logged in, if you appear as registered as a job seeker you can consult the aid that you can apply for, and among them should be the long-term unemployed or the RAI program. You will have to fill out a questionnaire with your application data and send it. If, as is my case, you are not registered as a job seeker, you will not be able to see any of this.

Disclaimer: If you need to update/edit/remove this news or article then please contact our support team Learn more

Varun Kumar

Varun Kumar is a freelance writer working on news website. He contributes to Our Blog and more. Wise also works in higher ed sustainability and previously in stream restoration. He loves running, trees and hanging out with her family.

Leave a Reply