Two people killed - train drama: What is known about the knife attack

It is hard to believe the horrific scenes that took place on a regional train from Kiel to Hamburg in northern Germany on Wednesday. A 33-year-old man is said to have suddenly stabbed several passengers while driving. Two people were killed in the attack. Police and prosecutors want to continue their investigations on Thursday. There are still a few unanswered questions, but a few details are already known.

A total of eight people were injured in the attack with a stabbing weapon on Wednesday at around 2:55 p.m., including the alleged perpetrator. According to witnesses, passengers were able to overpower the man and hold him until the police arrived at the station in Brokstedt. At the time, the train was occupied by around 120 passengers, as reported by the Tagesschau. Fatal victims of the knife attack were young people. The two fatalities are a 16-year-old teenager and a 19-year-old man. That’s what Schleswig-Holstein’s Interior Minister Sabine Sütterlin-Waack (CDU) said on Thursday in Kiel. According to the police, the 33-year-old suspect was taken to hospital with minor injuries. Attacker no longer receiving medical treatment. The suspect is expected to be brought before a magistrate in Itzehoe on Thursday. The accused is no longer receiving medical treatment, but in police custody, the police said. Attackers have not yet been noticed as extremists According to a police spokeswoman, the background to the terrible act is still unclear. “We are working flat out to gather all the facts,” said Minister Sütterlin-Waack. There were initial indications that the alleged attacker could be mentally confused, as reported by the dpa news agency, citing security circles. According to preliminary findings, the 33-year-old stateless Palestinian in northern Germany has not yet been noticed as an extremist. Released from prison six days ago According to information from “Spiegel” and “Welt”, the man is said to have made several appearances to the police and, according to NDR, has several previous convictions. As the dpa learned from security circles, he is said to have been imprisoned until last week. Sütterlin-Waack said on Wednesday evening on NDR that the man had been released from custody six days ago.

Disclaimer: If you need to update/edit/remove this news or article then please contact our support team Learn more

J. A. Allen

Author, blogger, freelance writer. Hater of spiders. Drinker of wine. Mother of hellions.

Leave a Reply