30 Oct 2022 10:35 am

At least 100 people are said to have died after explosions outside the Ministry of Education in the Somali capital Mogadishu. The president of the East African country blamed the militant group al-Shabaab for the tragedy.

In Somalia’s capital, Mogadishu, two car bomb attacks occurred in front of the Ministry of Education on Saturday. Somalia President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud said at least 100 people had been killed and another 300 injured. The head of state warned that the number of dead and injured would continue to rise. Against this background, Hassan Sheikh Mohamud addressed other countries:

“We ask our international partners and Muslims around the world to send their doctors here, as we cannot send all victims abroad for treatment.”

The first bomb hit the Ministry of Education near a busy intersection in Mogadishu. The second bomb went off minutes later as ambulances arrived and people gathered to help the injured. Eyewitnesses reported that many of the victims were women and some were children.

In 2017, a major terrorist attack took place in the same area, in which a truck loaded with explosives exploded, killing more than 500 people. The President described the October 29 bombings as “history”. The senior politician added:

“It’s the same place and the same innocent people are affected.”

So far, no group has claimed responsibility for the attacks, but Mohamud has already blamed the militant group Al-Shabaab.

The bloody blasts rocked Mogadishu on the same day that Somalia’s president, prime minister and other senior officials met to discuss countering violent extremism in the country. When he took office in May, Mohamud vowed to wage “all-out war” against the jihadists and launch a major offensive against al-Shabaab.

Al-Shabaab, an al-Qaeda-affiliated movement, was driven out of Mogadishu by African Union forces in 2011 but still controls large parts of the country and frequently carries out bombings and armed attacks in Mogadishu and other parts of the country.

more on the subject – Distress in Somalia: Fleeing drought, terrorists and Russian sanctions

By blocking RT, the EU aims to silence a critical, non-pro-Western source of information. And not only with regard to the Ukraine war. Access to our website has been made more difficult, several social media have blocked our accounts. It is now up to all of us whether journalism beyond mainstream narratives can continue to be pursued in Germany and the EU. If you like our articles, feel free to share them wherever you are active. It’s possible because the EU hasn’t banned our work or reading and sharing our articles. Note: However, with the amendment of the “Audiovisual Media Service Act” on April 13, Austria introduced a change in this regard, which may also affect private individuals. That’s why we ask you not to share our posts on social media in Austria until the situation has been clarified.

Source: RT

Disclaimer: If you need to update/edit/remove this news or article then please contact our support team Learn more

J. A. Allen

Author, blogger, freelance writer. Hater of spiders. Drinker of wine. Mother of hellions.

Leave a Reply