There are many reasons to protest – but this occasion is really incredibly sad and deeply affected. In meal 450 demonstrators gathered in the city center on Friday (September 23).
This case moves the world: Iranian Mahsa Amini died just over a week ago. She was arrested by the vice squad for violating the strict Islamic dress code. What exactly happened when the 22-year-old was arrested is not clear. The fact is: she fell into a coma and died in the hospital. This incident was the cause of protests in meal.
There are demonstrations about this not only in Essen, but also in Iran people are taking to the streets
The morality police are accused of becoming violent towards the woman. However, the police deny the allegations. Since then, thousands of people have also been demonstrating against the government in Iran.
This is the city of Essen:
- goes back to the Frauenstift Essen, founded before 850
- 582,760 inhabitants, nine districts and 50 districts, fourth largest city in North Rhine-Westphalia
- since 1958 seat of the newly founded diocese of Essen
- Landmarks among others: Zeche Zollverein, Villa Hügel, Grugapark Essen
- was European Capital of Culture in 2010 and European Green Capital in 2017
- Mayor is Thomas Kufen (CDU)
In Essen, the demonstrators called for “solidarity with women in Iran”.
Essen: According to the police, the rally in the city was peaceful
“Away with the Mullah regime”, “For a self-determined life without violence” or “Down with the Islamic Republic” were written on the banners, among other things.
More news from the city of Essen:
Headscarves were waved on flagpoles. According to police, the rally was peaceful.