Complainant: Varela never imagined being involved in the Odebrecht case

Carlos Muñoz Pope, the plaintiff hired to represent the State in the Odebrecht case, said yesterday in his pleadings that when the president of Panama, Juan Carlos Varela, authorized the then Minister of Security, Alexis Betancourt, to become a plaintiff, no he imagined he would be involved in this process.

Muñoz Pope revealed that he was hired by the Ministry of the Presidency to act as plaintiff and assume the role that the Cabinet Council of the Panameñista government assigned to the Minister of Security at the time.

“What the President of that time, whose name he did not even mention, never thought is that he is involved in this case,” said the lawyer, who confessed that he does not know much about the file until now…I barely know the prosecutor’s hearing.

He also revealed that he had the intention of requesting that María Bagatelas and Michelle Lasso not be called to trial, but he ruled it out, because the defenders – erroneously – asked for an abbreviated process.

He also exclaimed that large law firms were used to set up companies in the Odebrecht plot and there was a parade of companies, but he regretted that the Public Ministry only included Ricamar.

Yesterday, prosecutor Ruth Morcillo also alleged, who defended herself by questioning the allegation that the bribes were not investigated in the period of Martín Torrijos, which could not be done because “they stole the eggs from the eagle” referring to Odebrecht, because of that period there were project accounts payable.

He also maintained that it is not a political investigation and he resented being attacked… and rather asked that Law be discussed at the hearing.

During the hearing and while the superior prosecutor Morcillo continued her arguments, Judge Balosia Marquínez fined two private defenders $25.

At the hearing, prosecutor Mahmad Daud Hasan revealed that Joa Santana and Mónica Moura opened an account in the name of the company Polis América at Banco General on August 20, 2013, where “bribes” arrived to finance José Domingo’s campaign. Arias.

The prosecutor also made reference to the Allure Consulting Services account opened in a bank in Switzerland that “Mimito” Arias and José Porta allege that they opened on the recommendation of Stanley Motta, to provide a donation from the company Multitenant Overseas, which started with $200,000 on December 16, 2013. Motta and Miguel Heras, present at the meeting, denied the suggestion of opening accounts abroad.

For his part, the jurist Alfredo Vallarino stated that as of today all the clarifications to the statements made by the parties will be heard and reiterated the non-involvement of Ricardo Martinelli in this process.

The lawyer praised that the Anti-Corruption Prosecutor complied with what he had promised on the first day, “which was to listen to a story and a movie and that is what he did, if it were for the Powerpoints we will have a problem, but as we know that those Powerpoints are not based on tests, we feel very confident”.

generate audio file:

Source: Critica

Disclaimer: If you need to update/edit/remove this news or article then please contact our support team Learn more

Varun Kumar

Varun Kumar is a freelance writer working on news website. He contributes to Our Blog and more. Wise also works in higher ed sustainability and previously in stream restoration. He loves running, trees and hanging out with her family.

Leave a Reply