You are currently viewing Poll: Russians ready to support both peace and new offensive against Kyiv

10 Aug 2022 12:49 p.m

More than half of Russians would be willing to support Vladimir Putin’s decision to end the fighting in Ukraine. Curiously, almost the same number of respondents would also be willing to welcome his plans to launch a new offensive.

Around 65 percent of Russians would support a hypothetical decision by the Russian President to end the special operation in Ukraine tomorrow. This is shown by the results of a survey by the sociological service Russian Field, published by the Russian newspaper Kommersant published on Tuesday. What is interesting in this context is that around 60 percent of those surveyed would approve of a new offensive against Kyiv if Vladimir Putin were to announce it tomorrow.

According to political scientist Alexei Makarkin, the fact that the majority of Russians are willing to accept two opposing decisions by Vladimir Putin could be interpreted as a high level of trust in the president Kommersant. In addition, there is an attitude within society that the authorities know more about politics than the “little people”. Therefore, the obvious contradiction is also related to the lack of willingness to think about current political problems, said the political scientist.

59 percent of those surveyed took the view that the hostilities in Ukraine had lasted too long. The opposite opinion is shared by 28 percent and 13 percent remained undecided on this question. A total of 41 percent of respondents said they felt “tired with the news about the progress of the special operation.”

Overall, half of those surveyed (52 percent) supported the continuation of hostilities, while 38 percent would prefer a move to peace talks. The authors of the survey emphasize that the ratio of supporters to opponents of the war among the Russian population remained practically unchanged between mid-March and the end of July.

Almost two-thirds of the men surveyed (62 percent) would not be willing to personally take part in the fighting in Ukraine. Only 29 percent of those surveyed expressed this desire, mostly men between the ages of 45 and 59. Only every fifth man under the age of 30 has this wish.

Not many feel the will to help the Russian military financially. Two-thirds (67 percent) said they were completely unwilling to donate their own funds to support the army. Another 12 percent would spend a maximum of 1,000 rubles (equivalent to around 16 euros) per month.

The survey was conducted July 28-31 via telephone interview. 1,609 people in eight federal districts of Russia were interviewed. The authors of the survey warn that the results may not reflect reality as fewer and fewer people want to speak openly about the topic.

more on the subject – Survey: Almost 70 percent of Russians have never vacationed abroad

By blocking RT, the EU aims to silence a critical, non-pro-Western source of information. And not only with regard to the Ukraine war. Access to our website has been made more difficult, several social media have blocked our accounts. It is now up to all of us whether journalism beyond mainstream narratives can continue to be pursued in Germany and the EU. If you like our articles, feel free to share them wherever you are active. This is possible because the EU has not banned our work or reading and sharing our articles. Note: However, with the amendment of the “Audiovisual Media Service Act” on April 13, Austria introduced a change in this regard, which may also affect private individuals. That’s why we ask you not to share our posts on social media in Austria until the situation has been clarified.

Source: RT

Disclaimer: If you need to update/edit/remove this news or article then please contact our support team Learn more

J. A. Allen

Author, blogger, freelance writer. Hater of spiders. Drinker of wine. Mother of hellions.

Leave a Reply