"A rescue on the edge of the impossible": a French sailor survives 16 hours under his capsized sailboat thanks to an air bubble

"A rescue on the edge of the impossible": a French sailor survives 16 hours under his capsized sailboat thanks to an air bubble


Laurent Camprubi was rescued on August 2 after 16 hours “with barely 30 centimeters of air”

This was the rescue of the man who spent 15 hours under the hull of his sailboat in A CoruaTHE WORLD

“A rescue on the edge of the impossible.” This is how the Spanish coastguard describe the operation to recover the French navigator alive Laurent Camprubi62, who survived 16 hours under his overturned sailboat off the coast of Galicia thanks to an air bubble.

The distress call of the French sailing ship Jeanne SoloSailor was received on Monday night at 8:30 p.m., after which the coast guards of Maritime Salvage They located the capsized boat 14 miles from the Sysargas Islandsaccording to the information provided to the Afp this Thursday by that entity.

a rescuer, William Lavadescended from a helicopter to the hull, hit it and received “return blows” that made him “almost certain that there was a person trapped underneath”, indicates the member of Maritime Salvage.

Sea conditions at the time made rescue impossible, so the coastguard worked “for a few frantic hours” to secure the ship and ensure it didn’t sink, he says. Rodrigo Pieroskipper of one of the Maritime Rescue boats.

Already on Tuesday morning, a team of divers arrived at the sailboat. With flashlights, and in the middle of a very rough sea, the divers entered the sailboat, where they saw a boot from a wetsuit, and when they touched it, “the foot withdrew instantly,” they recall. They had found it.

“We put a hook [asta larga usada en las embarcaciones] towards the area, the man grabbed him and at once a face appeared with wide eyes. He pushed towards us with great temperance, we grabbed him and we went dodging the rope until we brought him to the surface”, the divers report.

Laurent Camprubi he was finally rescued on August 2 at 12:00. He had survived 16 hours “with barely a foot of air.” He was evacuated, unharmed, by helicopter.

“Thank you, thank you, thank you. From inside the ship I could hear the Maritime Rescue helicopter flying overhead. I knew they were here and that they were going to rescue me, that they were not going to leave me alone. It was a matter of time. I had to survive for my family.” “, assures Laurent Camprubi.

Source: www.elmundo.es

Disclaimer: If you need to update/edit/remove this news or article then please contact our support team Learn more

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.