The customers of the Le Floride campsite, located in Barcarès in the Pyrénées-Orientales, had a good scare during the evening of Monday August 1, 2022. Indeed, 6 people were taken to hospital after a fire broke out. declared.
Located in Barcarès, in the Pyrénées-Orientales department, camping baptized Le Floride was the scene of an impressive accident, which could have gone very wrong on Monday August 1, 2022. As reported by the local antenna France Blue Roussillon, the alert was given around 11:15 p.m. In fact, one of the dancers performing the show that night got burned with a torch. A leak of flammable liquid, which was used to light the torches of this show by a group of traditional Tahitian dance, was the cause of the accident. Concretely, the product would have touched the dancer while he was handling the torch.
The fire would then have spread behind the scenes of the show, while the campsite restaurant was nearby. After giving the alert, the Le Barcarès campsite team evacuated around 800 people out of the 1,800 customers at the establishment. Afterwards, firefighters arrived at the scene tame the flames. An intervention that took place calmly according to the gendarmes present. “I was in my bungalow, I heard people screaming in the aisles, there was a lot of noise. I put my nose to the terrace and there I saw a large flame, about fifty meters from me. Everyone was shouting that they had to evacuate. When we were evacuated and I saw the flames, I said to myself, in five minutes it’s on us“, testified Frédéric, a camper from Vaucluse.
Fire at Le Floride campsite: 4 people in a state of absolute emergency
In total, no less than 24 people were medically taken care of following this incident. Among them, 6 were taken to hospital for burns, 4 of which were in a state of absolute emergency. In his twenties, the dancer who caused the accident was transferred to a specialized service for severe burns in Toulouse, just like one of the security guards of the campsite, who is for his part in Toulon. The management of the campsite planned to set up a psychological unit for customers or employees who would be in shock. Finally, all Florida campers were able to return to their respective accommodations overnight.