The technology of automating the lighting in our home can be extremely interesting, since we will be able to control it not only while at home, but even from outside. Let’s see what it consists of.
Being able to automate the LED lights in our home can be extremely interesting not only to save energy consumption each month, but it can also be useful when it comes to home security.
For all this, the automation and monitoring of the different lighting elements of the home is something that is seen more and more frequently.
These LED lighting control systems can be included in a home automation system that controls the entire house or they can be independent.
We can also have at our disposal the management of natural lighting through the blinds of the house, something that can also be a good solution.
But since what concerns us today is LED lighting, we will have to see what are the powers offered by the control of this type of light.
What is automated lighting?
Lighting control through home automation or Internet connection, which allows us to distribute the right amount of light to a space at a given time control it without having to be present at home.
The operation of these lighting control systems can be based on the direct Internet connection of its components or supervised by a central home automation system.
The home automation systems In the past they were of little use, however, since the development of smart lights and the IoT (Internet of Things)their potential has grown exponentially and they are presented as the solutions of the future for homes.
Everything that is the LED lighting of smart bulbs has made it possible to take a great step forward.
Philips Hue Kit (3 bulbs 3 buttons) for 199.73 euros
But we must not forget that these bulbs can also work independently, since they can be connected to the WiFi of our house and we can control them from our smartphone.
This means that home automation is not going to be essential.
automatic lighting systems
As you have surely already deduced, the two ways we have to control the LED lighting in our home is through home automation systems or by the direct connection of the bulbs themselves to the network.
In what is the home automation system we will have two different types to control the lighting:
- Manual: manual control is one that is independent in each group or zone of the house. In other words, each of the rooms in our home will have its own regulation or automation system.
- Digital: In this case, everything that is LED lighting will be managed from a single interface, which means that we will be able to continue treating each room independently, but everything will have to be regulated from the same central home automation device.
What is lighting control without having any type of home automation system, is achieved, since the light bulbs that we install in our house will be of the so-called intelligent ones, since they can be connected via WiFi to our Internet, which will mean that we can manage them from a application of our smartphone.
You have to consider that not all smart lights have the same powers. That is, it may be that some can be regulated in intensity, but others cannot, just as there are those with different types of colors or those that only come with white or yellow light.
Avatar Controls GU10 for 33.96 euros
LED bulb control
If we opt for light bulbs that we are going to control from our mobile phone, we must be clear that for this to happen the internet connection via WiFi must work at all timessince if this is not the case, the control would disappear.
There are light bulbs that can be connected to the mobile phone via Bluetooth, but its functionality is quite limited, since we will not be able to control it if we leave, for example, the room where they are placed.
It is convenient to try that all the smart lights in the house are of the same brandsince this way we can control it without having to vary from one application to another.
Thanks to these applications we will be able to raise or lower the lighting in a room (as long as the bulb is compatible) or program them so that, at a certain time, for example, they lower their intensity or directly turn off.
Antela LED bulb for 18.99 euros
The positive part of all this is that we will be able to make the lights come on even if we’re not homesomething that can be a security measure to give the feeling that someone is in the home.
All these automation systems will also serve us to save monthly electricity consumption (between 20 and 30% less)since we can manage it in many ways.
For example, we can assign a programming system so that all the lights turn off at a certain time, so that at a certain time of the day all the lights that are on dim their intensity or assign them certain accessories that we are going to talk about next. .
TP-Link Tapo L530E (2 smart bulbs) for 22.39 euros
Both the home automation systems and those with direct connection to the light bulbs can accept a series of accessories that will help us in the management of all the lighting, in addition to serving to save electricity.
Yes it is true that there are some home automation systems that already come with these accessories within the program itself and, therefore, they would not need them, so they would be able to do the same, but from the Central Unit.
These sensors can be of various types:
- basic switch: it is the one that we all have in our homes to turn on or off the light. Here there is not much secret to tell.
- Dimmer switch: These devices are capable of adjusting the light output of a source. they are a good option, since we can achieve, as long as the LED bulb is compatible, dim the lighting and, therefore, also consume less.
- Timers: Although the vast majority of mobile applications that control LED lights by home automation systems already have a timer, in the event that we did not have one, we could install one so that it is managed by the different types of routines that we want to put on it. to the lights
- Presence sensors: These types of accessories are extremely interesting, as they let you know if there is someone in the room where the light is on. It could be programmed so that the light turns off after 10 minutes of not detecting anyone, to give you an example.
- Photoelectric sensors: We could also install this type of sensor that detects natural light in a space and from there performs the function that they have marked, which is normally to turn off the light bulb. This could be fine for a room where there is a child who needs to sleep in a certain light, so that when there is external lighting, that bulb can be turned off.
- Astrological: These types of sensors are prepared to program the light depending on the time of year in which we are. They are mainly used for exterior lights.
YEELIGHT for 25.99 euros
Now that you have all the data, it will be much easier for you to know which system you prefer to automate your home through LED lighting.
What is clear is that it is highly advisable to buy smart LED bulbs to be able to work with a home automation system, and essential if we want to do it manually, that is, simply with our WiFi connection and our smartphone.