After confirming its launch in the last keynote and after weeks of betas, Apple has finally released iOS 15.4 final and stable for everyone. Its older brother, iPadOS 15.4, is also available now. These versions bring important news and finish fulfilling everything promised at WWDC21. Yes, Apple has taken nine months to do it.
All the news of iOS 15.4 and iPadOS 15.4
The most important novelty of iOS 15.4 is without a doubt Universal Control, which finally appears and is combined with macOS 12.3 to be able to use multiple iPads and Macs with just a keyboard and a mouse without having to configure anything. This feature has been appearing in previous beta versions, but until now it had disappeared before the arrival of the respective stable versions.
Another novelty that deserves to be highlighted is the possibility of use Face ID to unlock iPhone with mask on. You have to go through another facial identification process, but Apple has managed to find a way to be able to do this unlocking without analyzing our nose or mouth and without depending on an Apple Watch. Surely for this reason alone, many people will want to download this update, although beware: it only works on iPhone 12 or later. We were able to test it last month and it works great.
And it may not be as necessary now due to the relaxation of COVID-19 restrictions, but iOS 15.4 also allows include the vaccination certificate in the Wallet application just by reading its QR code and without depending on websites such as the Ministry of Health in Spain.
Apple has also released watchOS 8.5, tvOS 15.4, and a new 15.4 firmware for HomePods. The update covers almost all of the company’s devices, so there’s an afternoon of backing up and updating everything.
Here is a list with the rest of the new features of iOS 15.4:
- new anti-harassment measures for AirTags arisen as a result of the fraudulent use that some people gave it.
- iCloud Keychain can now save notes on every password we save.
- 120Hz animations on the iPhone 13 Pro can be exploited by third-party developers.
- new emojis with more variations of handshakes, nests, lips, disco balls and more expressions.
- On iPads, it is now possible to control the brightness of the Magic Keyboard even from the Control Center.
- Custom domain options in iCloud+ can now be managed from iPhone or iPad.
- The Share menu now includes Share Play.
- passkeythe system with which we can identify ourselves without any password in those places where it is integrated, is already included.
- Notes now allows you to configure hot corner gestures.
- There are improvements to the charge level of the AirPods on the screen.
Image | Sameer