Military infected in Navy corvette taken to hotel in Porto Santo

Forty-one soldiers infected with covid-19 aboard the Corvette António Enes, anchored in Porto Santo, are today being removed from the ship, heading to a hotel unit where they will continue isolation, said a source from the Navy.

Portuguese Navy spokeswoman Nádia Rijo told Lusa that the infected soldiers are already being removed from the ship and will be placed in a hotel in Porto Santo, adding that the number of positive cases has risen today from 39 to 41.

The military will recover in a hotel on the island of Porto Santo, Madeira, after a decision by the local authorities, he said.

This morning, the Navy spokeswoman said that the local authorities were considering removing the positive cases from the ship, despite the Corvette António Enes having all the conditions for isolation.

The outbreak of covid-19 was identified on Tuesday after rapid tests were carried out on the military, who are all vaccinated and had been tested before the start of the trip.

At the time, 35 positive and 34 negative cases were recorded.

On Wednesday, the number of infected people rose from 35 to 39 after testing with the collaboration of the Porto Santo Health Delegation.

According to a spokeswoman for the Navy, the soldiers, who have only mild symptoms, are vaccinated and had been tested before the start of the trip.

According to the same source, there is no operational impediment, as the mission continues to be carried out by NRP Mondego.

On Wednesday, the spokeswoman had told Lusa that, until that date, there had been no record of further outbreaks on Navy vessels, only specific cases.

Disclaimer: If you need to update/edit/remove this news or article then please contact our support team Learn more