Dortmund: This institution is 200 years old – you don’t believe what it looked like back then
Dortmund. An institution in Dortmund is a full 200 years old!
The main customs office in Dortmund turns 200 in January! It all began with the relocation of the main tax office to Hagen Dortmund on January 1, 1822.
Dortmund: Main customs office is 200 years old
Today over 730 customs officers are employed at the main customs office in Dortmund. They collect billions of euros in taxes every year. The business area extends over the eastern part of the Ruhr area, the western Sauerland to the Siegerland.
Until 1822 there was one of the 25 lifting points subordinate to the main tax office in Hagen, which also included Bochum, Herne, Lünen, Castrop, Wattenscheid, Schwerte and Hattingen.
A few facts about the city of Dortmund:
- was first mentioned in writing in 880 (as ‘Throtmanni’)
- has 588,250 inhabitants (as of December 2019), making it the ninth largest city in Germany
- The largest city in the Ruhr area in terms of area and population
- the Signal-Iduna-Park (home stadium of Borussia Dortmund) is the largest football stadium in Germany with over 81,000 seats
- further sights: Westfalenpark, Dortmunder U, German Football Museum
- Lord Mayor is Thomas Westphal (SPD)
Dortmund: Hauptzollamt has an impressive history
In 1908 the main tax office was renamed the main customs office. Two years later it moved to Kappelenstrasse. Over the years, more and more moves followed.
With the entry into force of the First Tax Administration Act on September 9, 1950, the main customs office officially became a federal authority. Then the tasks grew so significantly that a larger building was needed again.
Dortmund: Officially a federal authority since 1950
The main customs office, as it is today, moved to the new service building at Semerteichstrasse 47 to 49 in mid-September 2017. After a renovation period of a good 15 months, a total of 478 employees moved into the new building.
More news from Dortmund:
The Dortmund location of the financial control of illegal work and the vehicle control center are now also housed under one roof in the new building. (cf)