The Government of the Community of Madrid will appeal to the Supreme Court the distribution of European recovery funds from COVID-19. The Minister of Economy and Finance, Javier Fernández-Lasquetty has justified the decision on Tuesday, understanding that there has been a difference between autonomies after the departure of the Basque Country, Navarra, Extremadura and the Valencian Community for employment subsidies.
“The distribution criteria have not been well chosen. If on top of that we find that four communities are given additional money without the others being given a choice, we think that we are being treated worse and we are not willing to consent to it,” he said. Fernández-Lasquetty.
The regional head of the Economy and Finance has assured that the appeal will seek to annul the distribution of the first game, of nine million euros, as it was given “arbitrarily”, according to the Madrid Executive.
The regional executive presented in December a contentious-administrative appeal before the Supreme Court by Royal Decree 902/2021, of October 19, which was approved “without any kind of justification, without previously making it known at the Sector Conference and violating the distribution of powers legally established in employment matters “.
With this appealed Royal Decree, the central government regulated the granting of subsidies to the Basque Country, Navarra, the Valencian Community and Extremadura, using resources from the Recovery and Resilience Mechanism from the European Union to deal with the effects caused by the pandemic.
According to Fernández-Lasquetty, the rest of the autonomous communities have been left out, including Madrid, violating the competences in terms of employment.
“The Government has been distributing European funds to those it has considered outside of the Recovery and Resilience Mechanism, and without procedure and with a lack of transparency,” said the counselor, who has denounced “an arbitrary use of the funds.”
These 9 million euros are the first distribution of the 70,000 million euros that Spain will receive from the EU until 2023 and that, although “it is not a comparable amount with the rest of the volume,” the Madrid Government presents this appeal to the Supreme Court ” so that no more arbitrary use of the funds occurs. “