Juan Pablo Montoya will join Arrow McLaren in a bid to complete a treble of wins at the Indianapolis 500, the IndyCar team confirmed today.
Montoya, a Brickyard winner in 2000 and 2015, drove for Arrow McLaren in last year’s Indy 500, finishing ninth.
“Juan Pablo is an institution in motorsport, with two Indianapolis 500 wins and an impressive Formula 1 career with several wins for McLaren,” McLaren Racing CEO Zak Brown said in a statement.
“He adds experience that really benefits our team, giving us another driver with the potential to win every time he gets in the car. “
The 46-year-old Colombian is one of the most experienced and versatile racing drivers to have won races in Formula 1, IndyCar and NASCAR.
Montoya to join full-time teammates Pato O’Ward and Felix Rosenqvist
He is also one victory away from completing the “Triple Crown of Motorsport” made up of victories at the Monaco Grand Prix, or F1 world title, at the Indianapolis 500 and the 24 Hours of Le Mans.
Montoya won the 2003 Monaco Grand Prix and while he won the 24 Hours of Daytona three times, he did not repeat that success at Le Mans.
The Colombian was a popular figure during his stint in Formula 1, scoring 30 podiums, a seven-time winner in 94 starts. He drove for Williams and McLaren during his time in the top flight
Montoya will join full-time McLaren drivers Pato O’Ward and Felix Rosenqvist for two races, the Indianapolis Grand Prix on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course on May 13 and the Indy 500 on May 29.
“I am delighted to be returning to Indianapolis with Arrow McLaren SP and Mission, to compete again in a race that holds a special place in my heart – the Indianapolis 500,” said Montoya.
“I think we have a real chance to compete at the front of the pack and fight for the win. “(Report by Steve Keating)
Welcome back @jpmontoya!
Montoya competed in the 106th # Indy500 Race presented by @GainbridgeLife with @ArrowMcLarenSP.
Can the 2-time winner become a 3-time winner in May?
Full story: https://t.co/sK5yqvGvWL#INDYCAR | #IsItMayYet pic.twitter.com/vqUWH9aZTM
– Indianapolis Motor Speedway (@IMS) January 11, 2022