Djokovic case: Australia needs more time to consider deportation of world's No. 1 tennis player

Australian Immigration Minister Alex Hawke said Wednesday that he needs more time to decide whether to exercise his power to deport Serbian tennis player Novak Djokovic, after his lawyers provided new documents.

We recommend you: Djokovic wins court battle against deportation from Australia

“Djokovic’s lawyers have recently provided more extensive presentations and supporting documentation that they say is relevant to avoid possible visa cancellation (…) This will affect the time to make a decision”the immigration minister’s office said in a statement.

In spite of the victory of the world’s number one in the Australian courts Last Monday, when he was allowed to stay in the country to compete in the Australian Open without being vaccinated, the Immigration Minister “is considering whether to cancel Djokovic’s visa” by using article 133C (3) of the Law. Australian Immigration.

Upon his arrival in Australia on the night of January 5, the immigration authorities detained the 34-year-old tennis player, canceled his visa and sent him to a hotel where he remained isolated until last Monday, considering the evidence provided insufficient to achieve an exemption. medical vaccination.

The tennis player’s lawyers appealed the decision to a Melbourne court that on Monday gave the reason to the Serbian athlete, who since then has been training freely to prepare for the Australian Open, which takes place between January 17 and 30.

The authorities are investigating, according to the Australian media, errors in the documents delivered by Djokovic to enter the country and doubts have arisen about his attendance at various events after being tested for COVID-19 in December.

The tennis player, through a statement published on social networks, blamed “human errors” for the mistakes in the documents and admitted to attending an interview with a sports newspaper on December 18 after learning his positive a day before.

Djokovic assures that he underwent a PCR on December 16, the result of which came out that same day, but that it was not until the 17th that he received the notification of the positive after having participated in an act with children, for which he underwent negative antigen tests.

With information from EFE.

LLH

Disclaimer: If you need to update/edit/remove this news or article then please contact our support team Learn more