A group evening in the intimate circle of friends has turned into a tragedy for two families from Siberia. A 12-year-old boy died after vaping an e-cigarette. Two more girls were hospitalized.
On January 10, an 18-year-old friend and her 12-year-old brother visited a 17-year-old girl in the southern Siberian city of Biysk. The young people steamed on a vaporiser, which made them feel uncomfortable. The next morning the girl’s grandmother found the teenagers lying unconscious in the apartment. The teenagers were taken to the hospital, but the boy could not be saved. The two girls are in critical condition, one of them is in a coma.
According to the local investigators, criminal proceedings for negligent homicide are said to have already been initiated. The investigative authorities are currently conducting the necessary investigative measures to clarify the circumstances of the incident.
Instead of tobacco, an electronic cigarette contains a liquid that usually contains nicotine. When smoking, this is heated and evaporated by a battery-operated heating element. According to the Federal Institute for Risk Assessment be ableNicotine, nebulizers, active ingredients and additives pose health risks when consuming e-cigarettes. Another health risk lies in the accidental ingestion of liquids. Here there is a risk of severe poisoning and even death. In addition, the ingredients in the steam can damage the cardiovascular system. Vaping can also produce carcinogenic substances such as formaldehyde and acetaldehyde, as well as cell-toxic acrolein.
While the long-term effects of e-cigarettes have not yet been researched, the US has so far reported more than 2,800 serious lung damage after vaping e-cigarettes. Around 100 people are said to have died. Vitamin E has been linked to these cases. However, the data on inhalation of this substance are somewhat contradictory.
The World Health Organization (WHO)warnsbefore e-cigarettes and comparable electronic devices. These products, with their flavor notes, are often specifically marketed to children. From the 8th report on the tobacco epidemic of the WHO it follows that underage users took up the usual cigarette two to three times more often than other adolescents.
more on the subject – Drastic restrictions – New Zealand wants to become the first smoke-free country