KNVB discloses 'corona cancellation' guidelines and postpones resumption of amateur football

“The main principle is that the completion of the competition should not be endangered by unnecessarily postponing matches. There are not many catch-up options. Matches should therefore be played as long as possible,” emphasizes the KNVB. The association has therefore expressly asked the clubs to observe the 1.5 meter rule, especially in changing rooms, at lunchtime, during match discussions and in transport.

Two reasons

According to the KNVB, there are two reasons for postponing a match: if clubs do not have thirteen players, including one goalkeeper, or in the event of ‘a medically uncontrolled outbreak’. In the second case, more and more players are tested positive in a very short time. “With such a rapid increase in the number of players who tested positive, it may be decided to postpone a match to prevent further infections. The numbers of players who tested positive in an uncontrolled outbreak are arbitrary and at the discretion of the KNVB national doctor,” the association said in a statement.

The professional football board determines in all cases whether a match will be postponed. For the next game, after a conversation between the doctor of the club and the national doctor, it is considered whether it can be expected that players have recovered sufficiently to play another match.

The clubs from the Eredivisie and Keuken Kampioen Division were updated on Tuesday afternoon by the KNVB.

Postponement amateur football

Earlier in the day, the KNVB announced that the resumption of the competition in amateur football will be postponed by at least a week. For next weekend, matches in the so-called B-category were again scheduled for youth, but the football association has decided to cancel the program. The cabinet will only decide on the corona measures that will apply from Saturday on Friday.

The ball will not roll on the amateur fields next weekend.

The ball will not roll on the amateur fields next weekend.

“Behind the scenes we are working on various scenarios for the continuation of the competition,” says Jan Dirk van der Zee, director of amateur football at the KNVB. “We hope, of course, that the cabinet will relax the current restrictions on sport. Sport is essential for good health and as an essential sector should be given more opportunities than now. At the moment, 1.2 million amateur football players can barely exercise and are mainly at home.”

Young people up to 17 years old have been allowed to work out in a team until 8 p.m. since Tuesday. Anyone aged 18 and older is only allowed to do this in groups of no more than two people. Youth is allowed to train and play matches with the current corona measures, but not against other clubs. Everyone aged 18 and older is still only allowed to exercise in groups of no more than two people, which means that, for example, football training sessions with seniors are not possible.

Longer winter break

At the end of last month, the KNVB already decided to suspend the competitions in the A category until at least the end of January. Those competitions will resume on January 29 at the earliest, depending on what the cabinet decides this week. An exception to the corona rules applies to the so-called top competitions, including the Eredivisie, Kitchen Champion Division and Eredivisie Women. The top sport will therefore continue.

In any case, indoor sports will remain at a standstill until the end of this week. Sports canteens must keep their doors closed. The sports sector pleaded Tuesday in The Hague for an early opening. A petition to include sports and exercise as essential services has been signed more than 350,000 times.

Disclaimer: If you need to update/edit/remove this news or article then please contact our support team Learn more