Kazakhstan: Moscow-led troops leave country within two days

The Moscow-led troops deployed in Kazakhstan, after the riots that resulted in at least 164 dead and 8,000 detained, will begin to leave the country “within two days”, the president of Kazakhstan said this Tuesday.

“The main mission of the peacekeeping forces … has been successfully completed, the gradual withdrawal of the contingent will begin within two days. This process will not take more than ten days,” Kassym-Jomart Tokayev told an official meeting.

According to data from the Government of Kazakhstan, around 8,000 people were detained after the week of unrest in the country.

“Since January 10, 7,989 people have been detained,” the Kazakh Interior Ministry said in a statement on Monday.

At least 164 people died in protests across the country, according to non-governmental data, while the regime points to about “two dozen dead”.

The protests that erupted in Kazakhstan on January 2 degenerated into violence last week, prompting him to send a Russian-led military mission to the hydrocarbon-rich country.

The crisis was provoked by the increase in the price of liquefied gas, which initially provoked peaceful demonstrations in several cities across the country.

These were the biggest protests in the country since it gained independence three decades ago.

Disclaimer: If you need to update/edit/remove this news or article then please contact our support team Learn more