The Norwegian Police admit that they had the archer assassin registered and followed him for his radicalization in Islam

The author of an attack in which this Wednesday five people died and two were injured in Kongsberg (south-western Norway) He is a convert to Islam who appeared on a list of people who worried about his radicalization, the police reported this Thursday. Therefore, everything points to the fact that it was a terrorist attack.

“The Police were in contact with him previously, there was a concern related to its radicalization. But we have not registered any notice in 2021, “he said at a press conference Ole Bredrup Sæverud, Southwest District Commissioner.

Sæverud stressed however that the investigation is at an early stage and that it will take time to clarify the reasons, so he refused to assure that it was a terrorist attack.

Police officers in the investigation of the attack in Kongsberg.
TERJE BENDIKSBY / EPA / EFE

The attacker, a 37-year-old Danish resident of Kongsberg, used more weapons in the attack and Police are “pretty sure” that he acted alone.

The dead are four women and one man between the ages of 50 and 70 and whose identity has not yet been made public; one of the two injured is a policeman who was on a day off.

The Norwegian Police received at 18.13 local time (16.13 GMT) a notice that a man armed with a bow and arrows He was moving through the center of Kongsberg, and five minutes later several officers had contact with him, but he managed to escape after shooting arrows at them.

The arrest occurred at 6:47 p.m. local time, and in the action the Police fired warning shots.

“From what we know so far, it seems clear that the aggressor killed someone, probably everyone, after having had contact with the police for the first time, “said Sæverud, who asked that videos and photos of the attack be stopped being disseminated on social networks.

Helicopter chase

The investigating prosecutor, Ann Irén Svane Mathiassen, had previously revealed to the Norwegian media that the individual has admitted the facts and that he “contacted” the health services on several occasions in the past.

During the persecution of the individual, in which helicopters and special police forces were mobilized, the authorities asked residents to stay home after verifying that a person had been shot with an arrow.

Acting Prime Minister Erna Solberg called the events “horrible”, terms similar to those used by the opposition leader, the laborer Jonas Gahr Støre, that this Thursday he will assume the head of government after winning the general elections a month ago.

The Kongsberg city council has enabled acreception center for family members and those affected and mobilized a crisis team to deal with the situation.

Disclaimer: If you need to update/edit/remove this news or article then please contact our support team Learn more

Leave a Reply