Drama Norway: 'Danish suspect (37) was previously in sight of the police'

The Dane is said to have lived in the village – in a popular ski resort 68 kilometers from the capital Oslo – for years and has had more frequent contact with the mental health service in the past and has been in the crosshairs of the police after signals of radicalization. For the time being, it appears that the man acted alone, Øyvind Aas, head of the operational unit of the police in Kongsberg, said.

“We have no suspicion that anyone else was involved,” Aas reported to the Norwegian broadcaster. The man’s motive is still under investigation. Among other things, a house search was carried out at the man, who would have known already. The search continued Thursday morning. “We are going to investigate whether there was a terrorist motive.”

At a press conference on Thursday morning, it was announced that four of the five victims are women and that all victims are between 50 and 70 years old.

Warning shots

The Dane was arrested at 6.47 pm on Wednesday evening. Before the arrest, there was a confrontation with the police, after which the man managed to get away. After officers later found him again, warning shots were fired. Shortly afterwards, he could be handcuffed. In addition to a bow and arrow, he also used other weapons, including a knife, according to witnesses.

According to those witnesses, the suspect initially fired his weapon at a COOP supermarket in western Kongsberg. An off-duty police officer was injured when he was shot in the back with an arrow some seventy centimeters in length, several people said, some of whom also saw an arrow stabbed into a wall.

For the time being, it appears that the man acted alone, said Øyvind Aas, head of the operational unit of the Kongsberg police.

For the time being, it appears that the man acted alone, said Øyvind Aas, head of the operational unit of the Kongsberg police.

The officer, along with another victim who was present in the store, was taken to hospital with serious injuries. However, they would not be in mortal danger. After that, there were several more victims, after the gunman pulled towards the center. It is said to have taken about half an hour since the start of the attack before he was arrested.

‘Blue light’

Witness Sarkis Younan, who lives next door to the COOP, told local media about the Netflix series Squid game watching and didn’t notice at first. “I suddenly heard sirens and saw blue light, but thought it was in the TV series I was watching. Suddenly I heard the police yelling, ‘Drop your gun!’”

The 24-year-old student said officers entered the store while other armed officers warned residents to stay indoors. The seriousness soon became apparent. At least eight ambulances and three trauma helicopters came to the scene. Oslo University Hospital was put on standby to receive victims and a crisis team was put together.

‘horrific incident’

Mayor Kari Anne Sand spoke on TV2 of a ‘horrific incident’. “That’s all I can say about it now. Now we have to try to take the best possible care of the residents.” Norway’s acting Prime Minister Erna Solberg called the attack “shocking.”

Police authorities immediately ordered officers across the country to carry firearms, in case more attacks were to follow, by other gunmen and in other locations around the country. This often happens in terrorist attacks.

The Dane now has a lawyer, who states that his client is cooperating with the investigation. “He gives details about what happened,” Fredrik Neumann told Norwegian media. “I have spoken to him and he has been questioned.”

Disclaimer: If you need to update/edit/remove this news or article then please contact our support team Learn more

Leave a Reply