A monument to the Scottish and Russian gunsmith Charles Gascoigne, who lived in this city until 1803, was erected in Petrozavodsk. This was reported by Rossiyskaya Gazeta.
The monument represents the figure of Gascoigne himself, and there are also bas-reliefs depicting work in the factory workshops. The sculpture is made of bronze, while the pedestal and side gratings with reliefs are made of cast iron. It was installed on Karl Marx Avenue, near the Alexander Cannon Foundry, which Gascoigne led for almost 20 years.
Charles Gascoigne was the director of the Carron Steel Works near Edinburgh. Catherine II invited him to Russia. His house is still preserved in Petrozavodsk, and here he bequeathed to bury himself. His grave was in the German Cemetery until the beginning of the 19th century, after which the cemetery was closed.
Earlier it was reported that a monument to the outstanding Tatar poet Musa Jalil was erected in the Friendship of Peoples park in Yekaterinburg. The monument is 2.8 meters high. The bust of the poet is located on a marble pedestal.