Updated Thursday, October 14, 2021 –
The suspect has been arrested, as confirmed by a local police spokesman, who does not rule out that it was a terrorist attack.
Five people have been killed and two others injured in the attack by a man armed with a bow and arrows in the Norwegian city of Kongsberg (southwest of Oslo), reported the police of the Nordic country.
The aggressor is a 37-year-old Danish resident of that Norwegian city, according to information from public television Nrk, which refers to police sources. He is in custody, but has not yet been questioned, so the police do not want to speculate on his motives.
“We believe that only that person is the one who has committed the deeds. It is natural to analyze whether it is a terrorist act. It’s still too early to say anything, “noted Southwest District Police Chief Yvind Aas.
Aas revealed that one of the injured, both hospitalized, is a policeman who was in a supermarket and it was day off.
The Norwegian police received at 18.13 local time (16.13 GMT) a notice that a man armed with a bow and arrows was moving through the center of that city, and he was arrested at 18.47, after a “confrontation took place. “.
“There are many crime scenes. This person has moved through a large area of the center where criminal acts have been committed, “said Aas about the aggressor’s journey.
Acting Prime Minister, Erna Solberg, He spoke in another appearance of “horrible” events and “dramatic situation”, but he also did not want to speculate on the motives and referred to the result of the police investigation.
Solberg – who has already informed the opposition leader, Jonas Gahr Stre- He assured that what happened would not affect his taking office, which he will assume the head of government tomorrow after winning the general elections last month.
“What has come down to us from Kongsberg tonight speaks of a cruel and brutal act being committed,” Stre said.
During the pursuit of the individual, the police asked the residents not to leave their homes after verifying that a person had been shot with an arrow.
Several police units, including helicopters and a group of anti-explosive specialists, were mobilized and due to the size of the area through which they moved, police activity is expected “all night,” Aas said.
The General Directorate of Police has activated a temporary order that all agents in the country be armed, Against the usual norm, although there are currently no “concrete indications” that there may be a change in the level of terrorist threat in the country, it is stated in a statement.
The Kongsberg city council has set up a reception center for those affected and mobilized a crisis team to deal with the situation.
According to the tabloid VG, the Norwegian intelligence services (PST) have been informed of the events.
“It’s a tragedy, it’s horrible. You don’t think something like this can happen in Kongsberg,” he declared. Kari Anne Sand, Mayor of this town of about 28,000 inhabitants.
According to the criteria of