Instructions for Halloween
Shortly before Halloween you can see them everywhere again: beautifully and intricately carved pumpkins in all sizes and shapes. We show how easy it is to carve the pumpkin.
Carving a pumpkin: this is how it works
What you need for the DIY pumpkin face:
- a pumpkin of your choice, in the desired size (among the pumpkin varieties the Hokkaido pumpkin is best)
- a pumpkin tool / carving set (an ice cream scoop or spoon will do the same)
- pointed, sharp knives in different sizes
- possibly kitchen gloves
- large bowl for the pumpkin meat
- smaller bowl for the kernels and fibers
- Candle / tea light
Note: If the pumpkin is intended for Halloween, start carving and processing the pumpkin just before Halloween (max. One week before). Because your work of art won’t last that long!
So you can Pumpkin yourself in four easy steps to carve:
1. Clean the pumpkin
- Before you can start carving, you need the pumpkin clean from the outside and wipe it off thoroughly so that no dirt or dirt remains.
- Mark the cut line of the lid below the stem and then the Cut off the lid with a pointed, sharp knife. To do this, cut about 2 cm deep and slightly diagonally into the peel and then cut the cut once around the pumpkin. If you want, you can also carve a zigzag line into the pumpkin. The slightly inclined slot angle is important so that the lid does not fall into the pumpkin when it is put on. Caution: The diameter should be large enough to get inside the pumpkin.
2. Remove the pulp and pumpkin seeds
- Put on gloves and by hand, spoon, or ice cream scoop the pumpkin hollow out. Also remove stubborn fibers and cores to prevent them from decaying. For example, you can use the seeds as seeds and grow new pumpkins.
- Now with that Ice cream scoop or a scraper that Peel the pulp out. Don’t throw it away: You can cook and bake many delicious recipes with pumpkin. How about pumpkin soup, pumpkin risotto, or even a pumpkin pie? Tip: You can tell whether you have removed enough pulp by the fact that you can use a flashlight to shine through the peel from the inside out.
- Now you need a little patience: Den Wipe the pumpkin and a bit let dry.
3. Carve the face in the pumpkin
- Now comes the exciting part: We carve the face in the Halloween pumpkin. Therefore a template choose. You can simply carve a classic face out of triangles into the pumpkin or get inspiration from the pumpkin artists on Instagram and Co. There are more ideas for this below.
- the Print out the image template and place on the pumpkin. Fasten with adhesive tape.
- Trace the lines of the carving template with a knife or scissors and thus the contours for the Transfer the pumpkin face to the peel. Alternatively, you can of course also paint on the face, e.g. B. with chalk or a permanent pen. If you dare to carve for the first time, start with a light motif.
- Remove the template and start carving in the next step: With a sharp knife cut along the contours and gradually remove the pieces from the pumpkin.
- Work particularly carefully on narrow, filigree areas and it is best to remove them first so that nothing breaks off. Pumpkin carving sets usually also contain small saw knives that are ideal for filigree work. At the beginning the pumpkin is still stable, later it gets a little more difficult.
4. Preserve and set up the pumpkin
When you’ve finished carving the pumpkin, it’s special important to himto make durable, otherwise it will dry out or go moldy. And it would be a shame to just leave it standing on Halloween.
You can delay that as long as possible by adding the cut edges and the Inside of pumpkin with Vaseline coated. Simply put the Vaseline on a little kitchen paper and rub it over the pulp.
If you keep it in the fridge for a few hours or overnight, you give your carved pumpkin a little freshening up.
Tip: Ask your Candles or tea lights not directly into the pumpkin, but in a mason jar or similar. Then you can comfortably place it outside without the wind blowing out the flame.
Nice variant of the classic pumpkin carving
It can also be just pretty decorative pumpkins for Halloween. You can also achieve impressive effects by not removing the entire shell while carving, but simply carves or scratches only superficially. These scratched contours are later beautifully illuminated and illuminated by candlelight.
Carve scary faces for the Halloween pumpkin
Gone are the days when the pumpkin heads were simply given a laughing face. Halloween pumpkins with grimaces or scary portraits Carving has long been an art in itself, and hobby hobbyists from all over the world spend their time creatively on it.
We have collected the most exciting grimaces from the social networks for you. Maybe as an inspiration for your next Halloween party?
Another funny idea for the Halloween party: the puking pumpkin. You can either put the pumpkin meat and the seeds in the mouth of the pumpkin or – for the extra creepy effect, let guacamole run out (tip: put a few more nachos around and the snack bar is open).
You can also prepare great recipes from the different types of pumpkin. From pumpkin jam to pumpkin pie to pumpkin lasagna – we’ve put together the best pumpkin recipes here. And if you need more suggestions, you will also find many recipes on our Pinterest pin board. Simply delicious!
So that you don’t have so much work with the pumpkin, there are helpful cutting tips with which you can easily cut and peel the pumpkin:
Looking for more ideas for Halloween? Here you can find out how you can make Halloween costumes yourself and here we show you the best Halloween recipes with a scary factor. We explain here how you can make Halloween decorations!