Another humanitarian disaster is looming in the Islands due to irregular migration. If last year, at this point, not even the most skeptical denied the reactivation of the call Canarian route of the pateras, the data provided yesterday by the Ministry of Interior In its biweekly statistical delivery they leave no room for doubt, since the survivors who have managed to reach the coasts of the Archipelago by such a dangerous route so far this year (as of September 15) exceed twice the number registered during the same period in 2020.
Thus, Interior revealed yesterday that a total of 22,564 migrants have arrived in Spain by sea irregularly so far this year, of which half (11,060) did so to the Canary Islands, which represents, as has been said, an increase of 117.3% compared to the same period of the year. previous year, according to the last fortnightly balance of the Ministry of the Interior.
In addition, from January 1 to September 14 of this year, another 1,513 people have entered Spain through Ceuta and Melilla, although these figures still do not record the arrivals to Ceuta between May 17 and 18, estimated at close to than 10,000 immigrants.
The arrival of 22,564 people on the Spanish coast in 1,384 boats represents an increase of 57.5% compared to the same period as in 2020, when 14,327 arrived in 937 boats. 11,060 people did so on the Canary coasts (in 288 boats), 5,970 more than last year when they arrived in 181 nacelles.
The influx of immigrants by sea to the Peninsula and the Balearic Islands has also grown: 18.6% more than a year ago, with a total of 10,701 people, 1,680 more in 2020.
The worst thing is that, as the International Organization for Migration (IOM) has denounced, the deceased and / or disappeared on this route this year already amount to a total of 785 lives lost, of which 379 correspond to last August. The NGO Caminando Fronteras increases this figure to 2,000 deaths.
All this while the arrival of boats does not miss their daily appointment with the Archipelago. If a few days ago the largest influx of the year was recorded with about 400 migrants in just 24 hours, yesterday there were more than 300 survivors who have made landfall on the Islands.
Two new rescues of boats underway in the south of Gran Canaria last night raised the balance of immigrants arriving on the islands yesterday to 308, including 51 women and fifteen children, according to data provided to Efe by Salvamento Marítimo, on 1-1- 2 of the Canary Islands and the Red Cross.
At the last minute, Guardamar Talía drove the 87 occupants of two boats to the port of Arguineguín detected by the Sasemar 103 plane and by a Customs Surveillance Service ship 130 and 80 kilometers south of Gran Canaria.
The first of these nacelles transported 28 Maghrebi immigrants (27 men and one woman) and in the other 59 people of sub-Saharan origin (23 men, 26 women and 10 children) were traveling.
The day began with the rescue of almost 200 people in four boats during the early morning, two inflatable boats to the south of Lanzarote with 86 people (60 men, 21 women, three children and two babies, all sub-Saharan) and two boats with 102 people al south of Gran Canaria (99 men and three women, Maghreb).
Shortly after, after 9 a.m., the Salvamar Macondo helped the 33 occupants of another boat detected 22 kilometers south of Gran Canaria, all Maghreb men.
In the last three days there has been a significant upturn, with the arrival of 917 people in 25 boats: 392 on Tuesday (the highest number in a single day so far this year), 225 on Wednesday and 308 today on Thursday.
The Islands insist on the distribution of unaccompanied minors
The Deputy Minister of the Presidency of the Government of the Canary Islands, Antonio Olivera, said yesterday that it is “to be expected” that the arrival of migrants to the Canary Islands continues to increase due to the good conditions of the sea and, therefore, has insisted that the State must articulate an agreement for the distribution of unaccompanied minors.
In a press conference to give an account of the Governing Council’s agreements, Olivera said that, in the case of adults, the Islands are “more prepared” than last year, because there are reception resources and the protocols are applied accordingly. “Agile form”, thus avoiding the occurrence of “previous episodes”, such as overcrowding at the Arguineguín dock.
As for minors, the aforementioned deputy counselor pointed out that the current regulations that entrust the guardianship of the autonomous communities is not valid in this case, given that the Islands are in charge of more than 2,500, to whom they have to provide “the care that is they deserve ”. For this reason, he pointed out that there are open negotiations between both governments to “share in solidarity” the care of minors.