Zaragoza city council will present its request to MITMA to acquire tram units with European funds
Zaragoza

15/09/2021 – 19:08

The Zaragoza City Council, through the Public Services and Mobility area, has begun to work with the Ministry of Transport, Mobility and Urban Agenda (MITMA) so that calls for European funds are open to this type of investment.

The intention of the Zaragoza City Council is to submit an application to MITMA to acquire two new tram units, which will be financed through calls from European funds.

This subsidy would make it possible to meet the cost of more than 10 million euros stipulated to buy these units by 90%. The remaining 10%, around one million euros, will be assumed by the Zaragoza City Council, according to Europa Press.

This request, with which it will go from 21 to 23 convoys in the horizon of 2023, will in turn be added to the one that is already underway for aid to acquire electric buses.

The mayor of Zaragoza, Jorge Azcn, has made this announcement at the European Tranvas Congress, which is held in the Aragonese capital this week. In this forum, he added that these European funds for the transformation of cities will also contribute to improving the situation of the accounts of the company that operates the tram line, in whose structure the Zaragoza City Council participates with 20%.

During his speech, Azcn also recalled the objectives and lines of work in the field of urban mobility in which the city council has been working to make Zaragoza a climate-neutral city by 2030.

Among them, for example, the electrification plan of the urban bus fleet stands out, a project already underway that will involve the acquisition of 68 new planned buses, all of them electric and, therefore, with “zero emissions”, and the adaptation of Avanza garages to provide the necessary electrical power and chargers. This project will also be part of the application for aid to MITMA. The estimated amount is about 23 million euros, which will represent around 53% of the total planned investment.

Disclaimer: If you need to update/edit/remove this news or article then please contact our support team Learn more

Leave a Reply