One of the eight defendants in the trial for the femicide of Araceli Fulles, the young woman who was found murdered in José León Suárez in 2017, was arrested yesterday when he tried to enter the courtroom of the San Martín courts armed with a sharp object where the debate takes place, according to judicial sources.
The defendant, who had been released at the oral trial, is Hugo Cabañas, whom police personnel in charge of security in the San Martín courts found “a sharp element” among his clothes. It was at the time of entering the second hearing.
Cabañas is an employee of the corralón that belongs to Carlos Casalz, another of the defendants who was arrested last Sunday when he went to vote, a day before the start of the debate, accused of intimidating witnesses and Araceli’s mother.
In turn, last Monday they also arrested a man outside the cause, who had mixed with Araceli’s family and friends and had an ax.
According to investigators, the man has a psychiatric illness and said his objective was to “cut off the hand or one of the fingers” of one of the eight defendants.
Faced with this situation, the Ministry of Women, Gender and Diversity of the Nation, which accompanies the victim’s family in the debate, asked to guarantee that the trial is carried out “without risks” for the relatives of Araceli and for witnesses.
“During these 4 and a half years the family suffered various types of threats. We already have two defendants arrested for events that have to do with threats to witnesses who are going to testify in the case. It must be guaranteed that the debate is carried out without risk for the people who have to testify, ”said Natalia Chinetti, director of the Comprehensive Approach to Femicides, Transvesticides, Transfemicides and Crimes against Sexual Integrity.
The court is made up of judges Martín Klobovs, Carolina Martínez and Aníbal Bellagio, while the trial prosecutor is Mariana Piwarczuk.