Finally. We finally know all the details of the newly introduced iPhone 13. Some iPhone that we can book this next friday and that represent an important evolution with respect to the current iPhone 12. Some iPhone with several interesting details that were not mentioned in the keynote: such as thicknesses, weights, mmWave and dual eSIM support, limitations of the kinematic mode, battery, notch size and plus.
News and details in all fields
Yesterday was a presentation loaded with news. Among others were the new iPad and iPad mini, which we did not expect. With so much to tell some details about the protagonists of the event, the iPhone 13, went unnoticed. Let’s quickly go through the list:
- Support for dual eSIM: Thanks to this support we will now be able to use two eSIMs simultaneously instead of only being able to use one eSIM and a physical SIM. A very important feature now that we are increasingly deciding on virtual SIMs. Apple has published a support document on this.
- 5G mmWave in the United States only: In this generation of iPhone, Apple has improved the 5G connectivity specifications. Now we can connect to more frequencies and with more operators, however, mmWave connectivity is still only available on models sold in the United States.
- Video ProRes Mode Limits: On iPhones with 128GB, the ProRes video mode is limited to 1080p and 30fps. To achieve 4K quality, also at 30fps, we need an iPhone of 256GB or more.
- Slight increase in thickness and weight: The new iPhone 13 are slightly heavier and thicker than the iPhone 12. In terms of thickness, the increase ranges from 7.4 mm of the iPhone 12 to 7.65 of all the iPhone 13. As for the weight, the increase, Compared to the iPhone 12, it is the following: we went from 135 to 141 grams in the iPhone 13 mini, from 164 to 174 grams in the iPhone 13, from 189 to 204 grams in the iPhone 13 Pro and from 228 to 240 grams in the iPhone 13 Pro Max.
- Same chip, but more powerful in Pro models: Although all iPhone 13 models have the A15 Bionic processor, there is a slight difference between the chips of the Pro models and the rest. In the iPhone 13 mini and the iPhone 13 the A15 has four GPU cores. Meanwhile, in the iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max the GPU reaches five cores. A difference surely marked by the possibility of using the ProRes format in the video, something unique to the iPhone with the Pro surname.
- Same camera specifications on the iPhone 13 Pro and 13 Pro Max: Unlike the previous year, the specifications of the cameras of the iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max are identical. This means that to have the best camera an iPhone can offer you no longer need to aim at the larger phones.
- Narrower notch, but somewhat higher: The iPhone 13 reduces the width of the notch by 20%, however, it increases its height very slightly. An almost imperceptible change, but noticeable if we compare the images of both models.
- A higher battery time: In this generation of iPhone, the battery life increases in all models. In music playback, for example, the difference between the iPhone 12 Pro Max and the iPhone 12 is 15 hours, going from 80 to 95.
It is clear that these new iPhone 13 go well beyond the previous generation. There are many details that prove it to us. Recall that the reservation of these new iPhone 13 will open this Friday at 2:00 p.m. (Peninsular Spain time).