The Secretariat for Comprehensive Risk Management and Civil Protection (SGIRPC) of Mexico City alerted today, September 15, 2021, about the possible drop from ashes on the CDMX because of the activity recorded in the volcano Popocatepetl, in the last hours.
We recommend you: Popocatepetl volcano emits huge 2.2-kilometer fumarole after explosion
The SGIRPCCDMX indicated that it constantly monitors the activity of the Popocatepetl volcano in order to provide security to citizens.
Issued a series of recommendations to the possible drop from ash:
- Cover the water tanks to avoid contamination
- Close doors and windows; seals the gaps and windows with damp cloths to clean the entrance of dust to the interior
- Do not leave food outdoors to avoid contamination
- Cover the drains to prevent ashes from clogging the drain
- If you need to leave the house, protect your nose and mouth, as the ashes can irritate the respiratory system
- Don’t exercise outdoors
- Stay informed, do not spread rumors and heed the recommendations of the authorities
– Secretariat of Comprehensive Risk Management and PC (@SGIRPC_CDMX) September 15, 2021
The Popocatepetl has registered strong activity
The Popocatepetl volcano presented important activity in the last hours.
José Antonio Ramírez, state coordinator of Civil Protection in Puebla, reported that at 11:52 p.m. on Tuesday, September 14, 2021, the colossus presented an explosion with a large amount of magmatic material, which rolled down the slopes of it.
At 6:41 a.m. on Wednesday, September 15, another explosion was also recorded with the release of material and incandescence. Around 10 in the morning it emitted a fumarole more than two kilometers high.
🚦 The Volcanic Warning Stoplight is at # YellowPhase2.
🚷 You are encouraged NOT to go near the volcano. pic.twitter.com/cANofUeLnW
— Webcams de México (@webcamsdemexico) September 15, 2021
According to the University Center for Regional Disaster Prevention, Popocatepetl began with fumarolic activity from the weekend, so that for the next few hours it could continue with this behavior.
Until Wednesday morning, more than a hundred exhalations accompanied by water vapor, 329 minutes of harmonic tremor, explosions, the most visible being the one at 11:52 p.m. on Tuesday, as well as an earthquake.
The volcanic warning traffic light continues in yellow phase 2.
With information from SGIRPCCDMX and Noticieros Televisa