The history of the Chapel of the Rosary in Puebla

Puebla.- Mexico It has different unique wonders of its kind, such is the case of the Santo Domingo Temple, one of the most beautiful chapels in the world, dedicated to the Virgin of the Rosary, the beloved protector of navigators and benefactress of the city of Puebla.

Known for its baroque charms, it is also named as the reliquary of America, a name that was given to it by Pope John Paul II in 1979, who decided to visit it during his first visit to Mexico in order to know and admire it.

The construction of the temple where it is located began in the year 1550 and a hundred years later, in 1650, the construction of the chapel began, which was completed in 1690, the same year it was consecrated to coincide with the date on which it was founded the city of Puebla de los Ángeles.

The history of the Chapel of the Rosary in Puebla. Photo: Instagram

For eight days they had great celebrations, which is why it received the name of La Octava. Processions, masses and jubilant events took place during that time.

It was Fray Juan de Cuenca who suggested that the temple be dedicated to the Virgin of the Rosary, this because it seemed the ideal reason to demonstrate to the faithful the prayer of the Holy Rosary, however, he could not see the finished chapel and Fray Diego de Gorozpe was the one who continued with the direction of the work.

The construction is an example of the marvelous excesses of Mexican Baroque and is almost entirely covered with gold leaf and luxuries, which is why it was also called the Casa de Oro or the Eighth Wonder of the World.

The plant of the chapel has a Latin cross, also a narrow dome and windows, whose function is to give natural lighting to the regal tabernacle. Inside, each structure was covered with golden stucco reliefs and its walls by large canvases painted by José Rodríguez Carnero. The themes he chose were the Joys of the Virgin.

Beneath the paintings there are tiles in Puebla talavera and other paintings on the life of the Virgin such as the Glorification and Triumph of the Rosary with a decoration technique in gilded stucco prepared with flour, egg white, water and covered with gold sheets of gold. 24 karat.

Also known as the Temple of Santo Domingo, it is one of the most beautiful chapels in the world and dedicated to the Virgen del Rosario, located in Puebla. Photo: Instagram

The throne of the Virgin was built by the Spanish teacher Lucas Pinto, in which the three theological virtues are observed: faith, hope and charity. There are also some of the 60 angels placed around it, each one showing a different facial expression.

By taking a seat in this wonderful sacred temple you will be able to admire all its beauty; right in the center the dove of the Holy Spirit, wrapped in clouds and rays, below the Divine Grace, who in his hands carries a palm leaf and a laurel leaf, also to the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

In the dome there are 16 windows, interspersed with an equal number of holy figures and martyrs. There are decorative details to look for like figures of dogs with torches in their snouts, pelicans that symbolize Christ, birds, flowers, and even two mermaids.

Read more: To give the cry! Get to know the Route of Independence in Guanajuato

The day of the celebration of the Virgen del Rosario is October 7, so it is the ideal time to visit this beautiful chapel that is located on Calle 5 de Mayor and 4 Poniente in the Historic Center of Puebla. It is open every day from 7:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and from 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.

Disclaimer: If you need to update/edit/remove this news or article then please contact our support team Learn more

Leave a Reply