BES: Salgado's defense calls for additional sanctions and attention to his health

The secretary of former banker Ricardo Salgado, Tereza Araújo, said today in court that the health condition of the former president of the Espírito Santo Group (GES) is deteriorating and that it is felt, above all, at the level of memory.

Heard as a witness in the sixth session of the trial of Ricardo Salgado in a process related and separate from Operation Marquês, in progress at the Criminal Court of Lisbon, the former GES employee, who worked for about 30 years as Salgado’s secretary, and who continues to providing secretarial support despite being retired, admitted that there is a clear contrast between the past and the present of the former banker.

“Yesterday it was fantastic, today he asked me the same thing five times. The days he’s there varies a lot, but it has nothing to do with Ricardo Salgado, whom I’ve known all my life. Today he drags his feet, forgets things… He is a person who feels that he is suffering from a deterioration that is advancing and in the numbers it can be seen immensely”, said Tereza Araújo to the collective of judges, stressing that the former president of GES, 77 years old, “lived to work”.

Tereza Araújo’s testimony comes the day after the presentation of an application by Ricardo Salgado’s defense in which lawyers argued the nullity of the September 6 order of judge Francisco Henriques in which the president of the collective of judges had refused to carry out a medical-neurological expertise to the defendant in the process.

In parallel, Teresa Araújo, 71, contested that the management of the group should pass exclusively to Ricardo Salgado, noting that the president of GES “had so much work that it was impossible to dedicate himself to other areas” and that he was only concentrating on the area. financial institution.

“I’m amazed that, with the work he had at the bank, he could still be taking care of all the other areas of the group. And that was a huge group”, he stressed.

“I know of many decisions that were taken against him and he had no other choice. I received minutes of the meetings, I had been working with the Espírito Santo family for 30 years and I also heard comments, both from Ricardo Salgado and from others”, said the witness.

The same line of reasoning was followed in the following testimony by Pedro Brito e Cunha, former administrator of the Tranquilidade insurance company, which was an integral part of GES, with the witness noting that the members of the group’s superior board – to whom he reported – ” they worked very collegially” among themselves.

Ricardo Salgado’s trial will resume on October 22, with the hearings of the latest witnesses: Jean-Luc Schneider, Alain Rukavina and Ricardo Gaspar Rosado de Carvalho. For that same day, the closing arguments are already scheduled.

Ricardo Salgado is responding in this trial for three crimes of breach of trust, due to transfers of more than 10 million euros under Operation Marquis, from which this process was separated.

Disclaimer: If you need to update/edit/remove this news or article then please contact our support team Learn more

Leave a Reply