According to the criteria of
Four days remain for a key day in the face of the pretensions of the government of Pedro Castillo. The cabinet headed by the prime minister Guido Bellido It will be presented this Thursday before Congress to request a vote of confidence, although dragging different liabilities.
READ ALSO | Óscar Maúrtua: his appointment as chancellor and the political message of President Castillo | ANALYSIS
Decisions and indecisions, appointments, positions and a series of facts in the first days of the management of Free Peru are the prelude to the decision that the Congress, and that the Executive awaits weakened by the crisis that led to the resignation of Hector Bejar to the chancery.
In conversation with Trade, political scientists Katherine Zegarra, Omar Awapara and Jorge Aragón agreed that the Bellido represents the heaviest backpack in the Cabinet, mainly because of the investigations against him.
The Bellido factor
Precisely the presence of Bellido and the conformation of Cabinet, Zegarra points out, generate resistance and show that Castillo it has not taken into account the context and margin with which it won the elections. “It would have been important the presence not only of politicians from other parties, but also technocrats or specialists who manage to generate more consensus”, he maintains.
Awapara considers that the designation of Guido Bellido contradicts what was stated by the president Pedro Castillo in his message to the nation on July 28. That day, the president urged “to put aside ideological differences, political positions and personal interests” and called for national unity and consensus without distinction of any kind. “In himself, Bellido is an atypical figure in the sense that he has failed to awaken confidence in Parliament. Not just Bellido, but a series of figures [del Gabinete]”, warns the expert.
Aragon points out that the government moves to July 26 with only one advantage: that in the opposition there is no cohesion or solidity regarding a possible denial of trust. However, he emphasizes that “Bellido it is the main liability, insofar as he is supposed to articulate with the rest of the sectors ”.
It should be remembered that Guido Bellido faces investigations in the Public Ministry for apology to terrorism, terrorism and money laundering, in the latter case regarding the financing of Peru Libre campaigns and as a result of the Los Dinámicos del Centro Case.
It is precisely in other portfolios where there have also been questioned appointments, both at the ministerial level and at a lower level. [ver cuadro]. Juan Carrasco (Interior), Walter Ayala (Defense), Iber Maraví (Work) and Juan Silva (Transportation) are just some examples. They are joined by Geiner Alvarado (Housing), who registers police arrests for traffic offenses; Rubén Ramírez (Environment), for a history of complaints about incidents such as assaults and harassment; Ciro Gálvez (Culture), denounced for incompatible negotiation; o Roberto Sánchez (Foreign Trade), whom the comptroller found responsible for irregularities in the Diris Lima Norte in 2016.
Zegarra refers that these are appointments of officials with little experience or without the profile for key and high-level positions, although he notes that “these types of liabilities are not particular to this government. Other governments have also put people without experience ”.
MORE ON POLITICS: The fleeting management of Béjar and the power in Torre Tagle | CHRONICLE
For Awapara, the questions to the aforementioned cases focus on antecedents and suitability for the position, so the problem “goes beyond Bellido. There are a series of appointments that have not convinced ”. “If this were not a first Cabinet, it would not obtain the vote of confidence in any way. But given the situation we live in, he will probably receive it, but reluctantly. Not so much because of its virtues, but because of the threat that not giving the first Cabinet trust would represent “, he points out.
Aragon agrees that “at the level of appointments, there was a lot of neglect or an intention of not appointing the best people.” However, he considers that a more political profile for a ministry would not be a serious mistake as long as the head is accompanied by people who know the sector. “At best, one would like to have competent cabinets on both planes. [político y técnico]What I feel is that there is a lot of politics in the sense of correlation of forces and little proposal on how the State will handle itself in the coming years “, Add.
Bellido has led press conferences after sessions of the Council of Ministers, while the president Castillo In recent days he has moved away from the secrecy of the beginning of his administration and has begun to answer questions from the press.
Clarity —as well as greater openness and transparency—, however, is a pending issue. “Bellido it would have to have a greater participation as spokesperson. If you leave empty communication spaces, others will fill it. And those others could be Vladimir Cerrón, and it would be negative because it raises questions for a part of the citizenry about who would really be ruling “, explains Zegarra.
Awapara notes that there is no clear communication strategy from the government and agrees that “there are gaps that are filled by other voices, such as Cerrón.” Aragon indicates that he does not see a minimum coordination or proactive attitude, even though the Executive has the right to raise some differences in its way of communicating.
Another important liability, Zegarra adds, is that a Cabinet that has only two women among its 19 members will request the confidence of a Congress that has the highest number of female legislators (49). “There is a dissociation between the discourse and what is presented in reality. In other words, it is not possible for there to be a historical claim if women are not taken into account “, sentence.
Measurement of forces
Although there are questions about the quality of the Cabinet and its technical expertise, the political scientists consulted emphasize that, after all, the decision of Congress is framed within a political criterion and a politicized context.
Although the Cabinet arrives with many liabilities, disadvantages and questions, Aragón asserts that “there does not seem to be anything on the part of the opposition that looks like a benefit of the doubt, but rather a rather skeptical and confrontational attitude.”
“The opposition would become quite complicated if it does not give Bellido confidence, Bellido probably knows that and can raise the decibels of the investiture message, but with the risk that this is seen as an affront. Bellido he has enough antibodies, enough to make the task of not giving him confidence easier “, warns, for his part, Awapara. Zegarra emphasizes, however, that an eventual granting of trust does not imply appeasement or support.
Therefore, in a scenario where the ruling party and the opposition have already begun to measure forces and strategies, Thursday’s session will set the course for the Executive-Congress relationship at least for the short term.
Minister of the Interior
Minister of Defense
Minister of Labor
Minister of Transport
|– The Public Ministry has been investigating him since April 26 for the alleged crime of apology to terrorism. This is due to their expressions, in an interview with Inka Vision, defending Shining Path actions.
– He is also being investigated on a preliminary basis, since August 3, for alleged terrorism. Along with Vladimir Cerrón and Guillermo Bermejo, he is accused of alleged links with remnants of Sendero in Vraem.
– On August 6, the prosecution included him in an investigation for alleged money laundering, regarding the financing of the electoral campaigns of Peru Libre. This as a result of the Los Dinámicos del Centro Case.
– On Facebook, register messages with a sexist and homophobic charge.
|– The Decentralized Office of Internal Control (ODCI) of the Public Ministry of Lambayeque investigates him, since August 1, for “alleged functional misconduct”, due to the “incompatibility” to be Minister of State.
– It happens that Carrasco just submitted his resignation as a prosecutor (not yet accepted) on August 2, 4 days after taking office. Experts have warned that his appointment would be void.
– The possibility of appointing Grover Mamani in the General Directorate of Internal Government led to the resignations, on August 7, of the Vice Ministers of Internal Order and Public Security, respectively Carlos León and Nicolás Zevallos. Mamani is a Sutep leader close to Pedro Castillo and considered that he should govern “at least 10, 15, 20 years.”
|– In 1997, when he was working as a policeman, he was sentenced to six days’ arrest, attributing serious offenses against police morale and discipline for having denied that he knew a person who was under an arrest warrant for the crime of reception. A PNP resolution made it “available”.
– In October 2000, the Ministry of the Interior placed him in retirement for having exceeded the time of permanence in “availability”. After a resolution of the Constitutional Court, the Judicial Power admitted his reincorporation to the PNP, but without equalization of assets.
|– Various journalistic notes and bibliographic records link him to Conare-Sutep, a radical faction of the teaching profession close to Movadef, the legal arm of the Shining Path.
– He is also mentioned as a participant in a protest by teachers in 2004 in Huamanga, Ayacucho, which included the destruction of the regional government premises, the provincial municipality, the Superior Court of Justice and other public establishments.
– The National Civil Service Authority of the Presidency of the Council of Ministers sanctioned the teacher in 2018 with a temporary layoff of 31 days without remuneration. This was due to having been absent unjustifiably and not having carried out his work in the Huamanga Local Educational Management Unit between June 21 and 28 of said year.
|– In the first 12 days of management, the portfolio directed by the educator was the one that had the most dismissals or replacements of officials due to serious questions against them.
– The comptroller’s office warned, for example, that a militant from Peru Libre and a former affiliate of said party did not meet the technical profile to be, respectively, directors of the Office of Dialogue and Social Management of the MTC and of Decentralized Provías.
– At Sunarp, you are listed as a manager in a company that provides land transportation services, but does not register any fleet and does not appear in the list of transportation companies authorized by the Urban Transportation Authority (ATU).