The Buenos Aires governor, Axel Kicillof, announced that From Wednesday there will be a free vaccine against the coronavirus in the province of Buenos Aires for those over 25 years of age and from on Friday it will be extended to all Buenos Aires residents over 18. He also reported that as of this Tuesday, the registration of adolescents between 12 and 18 years old for vaccination is open.
What’s more, the Buenos Aires government confirmed the return to face-to-face classes throughout the province after the winter holidays and the beginning of a house-to-house vaccination campaign for those who have not yet been inoculated.
“In August, Buenos Aires will become a protected province”, pondered the governor during a press conference accompanied by Daniel Gollan, who from tomorrow will leave his position in the Ministry of Health to lead the campaign for his candidacy for national deputy, as head of the list of the Front of All together to Victoria Tolosa Paz.
According to Kicillof, there is an “improvement in the epidemiological condition” throughout the province because More than half of the population has already been vaccinated with at least one dose against the coronavirus.
The return to face-to-face classes
Because of this, as of next Monday “we return to a careful presence in schools throughout the province of Buenos Aires”, he confirmed. In other words, the schools will once again teach classes in the classrooms “but with protocols, because international experience has shown us that those who continue to infect are the unvaccinated, including boys and girls “, remarked the provincial president.
Presence will return “in the 135 districts, respecting the criteria of the Federal Council of Education, with the corresponding protocols and care regulations determined by the Provincial General Directorate of Schools ”, added the Chief of Staff, Carlos Bianco.
This will be possible because, after the nine consecutive weeks of decline in cases throughout the province, no district is in phases 1 and 2.
Vaccination for adolescents
During the announcement made at a conference that took place in the Golden Hall of the Government, Kicillof also announced that “as of today the possibility for boys and girls from 12 to 18 with comorbidities to register is enabled” to be vaccinated against the coronavirus. This will be possible due to the stock in the country of vaccines approved by the European control body (EMA) for adolescents of that age group.
In addition, the governor announced that “Starting Wednesday there will be ‘Free Vaccine’ for those over 25 years of age throughout the province of Buenos Aires”. That measure It will be extended to those over 18 from Friday.
He also reported that “the resumption of visits in homes and long-stay residences” is enabled.
“Close to herd immunity”
For its part, Gollan confirmed that the province has had nine consecutive weeks of falling cases while the vaccination campaign in the province advances “in a swift and extraordinary way.” “This conjunction of measures of care, vaccination and circulation of the virus that produced immunity, lowered the cases,” he said.
To this we must add that “In the middle of winter, the most contagious variants were prevented from entering so far, and that is an achievement, “he added. However, he acknowledged that the numbers of infections “are still high.”
“We are happy but alert”, he stressed and to weigh the progress he cited the bed occupancy index. During the peak of the second wave, “we reached 81 percent, however the current index is 59.9,” he said. “We had 1600 hospitalized patients and now there are 775,” he added.
The Delta variant
The issue of concern is the Delta variant. Against this, Gollan specified that there are 12 cases detected in the province, 11 are international travelers and one due to close contact. “There is still no registry of social circulation” of that strain, he stressed.
The minister specified that in the entire province there are 11,568,000 vaccinated people, 9,357,400 with the first dose and 2,210,000 with the second. “We are close to a possible herd effect. We are not there yet, but we are there ”to achieve it, he stressed.
Gollan anticipated that there will be a “house to house” vaccination campaign for people who have not yet been immunized. “We are going to vaccinate the few people who have not been vaccinated until today,” he said.
“No Buenos Aires citizen is going to be left without their vaccine and this is going to be a substantial difference in our epidemiological situation”The minister was hopeful, who stressed that this was possible because during these months “we managed to overcome the fear campaign and massively people want to be vaccinated.”
José Bianco also stated that in districts with lower contagion rates there will be an increase in the percentage of capacity in closed spaces. “There will be 30 percent of free capacity with unvaccinated people, and up to 50 with vaccinated people.”
All with hourly limits that will oscillate between 23 and 00, according to the phase in which each district is. “It is not a ‘health pass’ but an expansion of capacity”, clarified the head of Buenos Aires ministers.