The president of the Chamber of Reguengos de Monsaraz (Évora) said this Tuesday that the Government had committed to strengthening the policing and, in the medium term, the local GNR, after this month’s contempt with three wounded.

Mayor José Calixto, who spoke to the Lusa agency following a meeting he had with the Minister of Internal Administration (MAI), Eduardo Cabrita, in Lisbon, revealed that “three areas of commitment” had been established with the Government.

For now, in the “very short term and while there is no increase in personnel”, there will be “a reprogramming of actions in Reguengos de Monsaraz with the Intervention Unit of the GNR”, he indicated.

The objective is for this Guard unit to carry out “prevention, policing, in essence, the presence of the State in terms of public security in the territory”.

As for the “medium term”, José Calixto said that he had received a guarantee from the MAI of an increase in the number of GNR troops at the territorial post and the deployment of this security force.

As a result of the ongoing training cycle, there is a commitment to an effective increase [de militares da GNR] that restores numbers from a decade ago, above all, the operationality, through the reduction of the average age of the military, which is currently at 49 years old”, at the local post, summed up.

According to Calixto, in 2009, the Territorial Post of Reguengos de Monsaraz had 40 members and that of Telheiro had six. In 2019, these numbers increased to 24 and five soldiers, respectively.

There are now 22 soldiers at the Reguengos post and the five remain at Telheiro. It’s not much and I received the guarantee today that the county will be seen with a different look”, added the mayor.

The third and last commitment was the promise of “building a new barracks for the detachment and territorial post” of the county seat.

Today’s meeting was scheduled after the mayor asked for a hearing, as a matter of urgency, in the wake of contempt, on the night of the 16th, next to the terrace of a bar in the Alentejo city, with three wounded.

In a statement, released on the 19th, the chamber considered that the case of violence evidenced the “lack of personnel” of the GNR and considered the identification of the “offenders” and the opening of “investigations” to be “fundamental”.

Of the three injured, two were run over by the driver of a car who later abandoned the vehicle, according to GNR and firefighters sources.

This driver ended up surrendering to the Judiciary Police, was presented to court and was held in preventive detention, indicted for two crimes of attempted murder, revealed his lawyer, Fábio Palhas.

The situation of violence arose after an establishment selling drinks to the public had denied access to a group of people, “because they were not accompanied by their digital certificate” covid-19, was released by the GNR at the time.

The GNR then said that an investigation process would be initiated to determine any disciplinary responsibility for the actions of the guard military deployed to the location.

Another man involved in the contempt also presented himself voluntarily at the PJ of Évora, having been subject to the measure of coercion of an identity and residence term.

.

Disclaimer: If you need to update/edit/remove this news or article then please contact our support team Learn more