The Government of Catalonia decided this Tuesday to close nightlife that is not outdoors from the weekend to try to stop the spread of the coronavirus in this region of northeastern Spain that registers a strong rebound in infections in recent days.
SIGHT: Spain proposes resuming restrictions due to increased coronavirus infections among young people
“We must close the nightlife that is not done in open spaces and also impose restrictions on outdoor events that gather a lot of people”, announced this Tuesday the spokeswoman for the regional government, Patricia Plaja, who described the epidemiological situation in Catalonia of “extremely complicated.”
- Samuel Luiz Muñiz, the young man beaten to death at the door of a nightclub whose case shocks Spain
- Horror in Spain: Tomás Gimeno visited his parents with the bodies of his daughters in the car
- Macro outbreak in Spain: more than 1,000 young people infected with coronavirus and 4,800 in quarantine after parties in Mallorca
As of the weekend, the nightlife venues in this region of high tourist activity will not be able to use their closed spaces. What’s more, those who participate in outdoor events that gather more than 500 people should take an antigen test, present a negative PCR test with a validity of more than 12 hours or proof that they have a complete vaccination.
The resolution being finalized by the regional government – and of which details were still to be specified, according to Plaja – will also stipulate the closure of night activities at 03:00 in the morning.
The rise in transmission in Catalonia is especially affecting the youngest, still unvaccinated, and soared in the weeks after the popular San Juan festival and the reopening of nightlife in Catalonia days before.
“It is not that the pandemic has not ended, it is that it is showing itself with a virulence that we still did not know. The transmission rate is very high ”, The spokeswoman warned after the Catalan government meeting, a day after this region with 7.8 million inhabitants registered more than 6,000 infections in a single day.
Thus, the Catalan pro-independence executive would like to restore the mandatory use of outdoor masks, which Madrid stopped imposing on June 26.
“With the data that we know today, we believe that the mask should once again be a mandatory element in Catalonia, but only the Spanish government can modify its use”, Plaja stated.
The health situation in Spain deteriorated in recent days with an increase in COVID-19 infections among young people.
“The data is not good at all”, Fernando Simón, chief epidemiologist of the Ministry of Health, commented on Monday night, who explained that “this data is highly variable in different age groups.”
Given the deterioration of the health situation, several regions are considering increasing the limitations, despite the good rate of vaccination in the country, where 40.3% of the 47 million Spaniards are already fully vaccinated.
IT MAY INTEREST YOU
- What is known about the possible causes of the collapse of an apartment building in Miami
- Tragic collapse: they traveled to Miami to get vaccinated against the coronavirus and now they are missing
- At least 18 dead leaves clash between cartels in northern Mexico
- In graphics: how the Miami building collapsed in just 12 seconds
- US intelligence report reiterates that there is no evidence of the existence of aliens
- Gratification for National Holidays: date of payment and who are beneficiaries