The repressor Walther Klug Rivera, arrested in the City of Buenos Aires on June 12, was extradited to Chile. The retired lieutenant colonel, convicted of the kidnappings and disappearances of 23 workers from hydroelectric plants in the Biobío region, must comply with a 10-day quarantine in a Santiago military police regiment until it is confirmed whether he will continue to be detained, as they expect organizations and human rights defenders to happen.

On Monday, Klug Rivera was transferred by personnel from the Argentine Federal Police (PFA) to the pass Los Libertadores de Mendoza to be handed over to the Chilean authorities. His transfer was authorized by the federal judge Julián Ercolini, who understood the case and to whom Klug Rivera asked to be sent to Chile as soon as possible. The process was delayed when the Argentine authorities detected that the repressor was going through a Covid picture.

Klug Rivera’s arrest occurred minutes after noon on Saturday, June 12. He was staying in a hotel on 3000 Moreno Street. He had escaped from Chile without being noticed and was seeking to travel to Germany, where, thanks to his dual nationality, he could avoid extradition. On June 1, he tried to board a flight to Spain to continue his trip to Germany, but the immigration authorities detected that he had an information alert, not a detention alert.

All the inquiries led to him missing the flight. Days later, from the London 38 memoir space they denounced that Klug had escaped. It was the second time he had done it: in February of last year, he had arrived extradited from Italy. The Airport Security Police (PSA) worked on the identification of the airport cameras and the Interpol department of the PFA arrested it and made it available to Judge Ercolini. Klug had a second ticket for June 20 that he did not use.

Klug Rivera joined the Chilean Army in 1966 and was trained at the School of the Americas, from where the United States radiated its influence among the military in the region. At the time of the coup d’état with which Augusto Pinochet overthrew President Salvador Allende, Klug Rivera was an officer of the 17th Regiment of Reinforced Infantry of Los Angeles, in the Biobío region.

From September 11, 1973 to March 31, 1974, there were kidnappings, disappearances and murders from 23 workers at the El Toro and El Abanico hydroelectric plants, which belonged to the National Electricity Company (ENDESA). They were taken to the Los Angeles regiment or to divisions that depended on it. Klug was responsible for the clandestine center that was set up in the stables of the regiment. For the ENDESA case, Klug was sentenced in 2014 by the Santiago Court of Appeals to a sentence of ten years and one day, a sentence he did not serve because he fled to Europe.

At the time of his second escape, Klug was being investigated by the kidnapping of Luis Cornejo Fernández, a student at the University of Concepción. On September 18, 1973, police and military officers took the boy first to the Los Angeles area police station and then to the regiment, where he was placed at the disposal of the intelligence sector, which was part of Klug and in which he stood out as a sadistic interrogator. and brutal. Luis Cornejo was never heard from again.


Disclaimer: If you need to update/edit/remove this news or article then please contact our support team Learn more