Roger Federer says he’s seen “advance and no setback” since returning to the circuit in March after more than a year away with two knee operations, and now that grass season starts next week in Halle, it’s “time to go all out”.
The world is more complex, but you can start with the basics. See how, in the Investor’s Manual
Initially, Federer planned a comeback on the 2021 Australia Open, a year after being knocked out of the Grand Slam in the semifinals, but slow progress in recovery has delayed his re-debut.
He played his first game at the ATP 250 in Doha, but said he is aiming to be in top form for the grass season and peak at Wimbledon, where he won eight of his 20 Grand Slam titles.
“I probably would have taken where I am today,” the 39-year-old, who withdrew from remaining at Roland Garros last week to protect his physique after a grueling third-round victory, told reporters on Friday.
“March was still too early for my return but I felt it was a good time to go back. I thought Doha actually did extremely well overall because I know my expectations were almost zero there. So I’m glad I was able to play two matches competitive there.”
“Since then, I’ve only seen progress, no setbacks. I think after the two operations I have to be extremely cautious with every move I make. But now it’s time to go for it. Essentially, I hope this is where the season really starts. for me”.
Since dropping out of Roland Garros, Federer has hit the ball for the first time on Thursday training for Halle’s ATP 500, where he has already won 10 titles.
Subscribe to Then24.com and access the most important news in real time.