Apple has announced, as is traditional at each WWDC, the winners of the Apple Design Awards, the awards that recognize the design and quality of the apps in the App Store. This year Apple has divided the awards into six new categories: innovation, images and graphics, interaction, joy and fun, inclusiveness and social impact.
Six unique games and six apps in these six categories
For years Apple has highlighted several applications in the App Store above the others, valuing their design, operation or vision. A contest that in addition to give important prestige to the award-winning apps and the developers behind them seeks to encourage all the apps in the store to aspire to this level of quality.
“This year’s Apple Design Award winners have redefined what we’ve come to expect from a great app experience, and we congratulate them on a well-deserved victory,” said Susan Prescott, Apple’s vice president of Worldwide Developer Relations. “The work of these developers embodies the essential role that applications and games play in our daily lives, and serves as perfect examples of our six new award categories.”
- Voice Dream Reader (Inclusivity – App): Voice Dream Reader is one of the best text to speech apps. It can read almost any digital source, be it a PDF, a web page or a pub in more than two dozen languages. With a multitude of customizable settings to adapt the tone, timbre, accent and speed to our tastes.
- HoloVista (Inclusivity – Play): A game that supports a wide variety of accessibility features such as motion control, text size and contrast, sound and intensity of visual effects, etc. A game that with all these considerations can be perceived in more than one way.
- Pok Pok Playroom (Joy and fun – App): One of the best apps we have seen for the education and entertainment of young children. A playful experience with beautiful graphics that we analyze in Applesfera.
- Little Orpheus (Joy and fun – Game): An interesting platform game with excellent storytelling and simple controls. With a great diversity of levels full of surprises, it offers a comical dialogue and fun in each stage.
- CARROT Weather (Interaction – App): A weather app well known for its humorous forecasts made with unique illustrations. An app designed with simplicity and elegance in mind that offers a pleasant experience from the app itself to the multiple widgets or the complications for the Apple Watch.
- Bird Alone (Interaction – Game): An exploratory game that combines gestures, haptic feedback, parallax and dynamic sound effects that accompanies us through the interface as it comes to life. With excellent graphics and sound effects that even adapt to the weather, the time of year and the time of day.
- Be My Eyes (Social impact – App): An app that allows visually impaired people to contact volunteers from all over the world using their camera to get help with questions like “what color is that shirt?” or “Is the milk expired?” With more than 300,000 users and 4.5 million volunteers in 150 countries and 180 languages.
- Alba (Social impact – Game): A Mediterranean adventure led by Ustwo games where we play Alba, a young woman very interested in animals and the environment. With the positivity that comes from respecting the environment, this game tells a story about family, community, activism, and kindness.
- Loóna (Images and graphics – App): An app for sleeping landscapes sessions that with animations, stories, narrations and a wide collection of sounds provides a calm and peaceful experience.
- Genshin Impact (Images and Graphics – Game): An app that captivates with impressive battle scenes as well as landscapes as we move through this virtual world. On a technical level, the frame rate, the quality of the shadow or the motion blur stand out while we invoke earthquakes, throw lightning or defeat the monsters we encounter.
- NaadSadhana (Innovation – App): A music application that helps musicians of all genres to perform and publish their music without limits. Thanks to artificial intelligence and Core ML, the application listens while a singer improvises a vocal line and provides instant feedback on the precision of the notes. It also generates a matching backing track, all in real time.
- League of Legends: Wild Rift (Innovation – Game): An app that manages to port a complex PC game to mobile platforms reimagining this beloved title from scratch. An app that gives players total immersion in the League of Legends universe through various mechanisms such as touch controls, automatic segmentation or camera settings.
In addition to the prestigious physical Apple Design Award, this year’s winners will receive an award package that includes hardware for each developer to continue creating great apps and games. Undoubtedly, the recognition that both the apps and the development teams behind them receive will support the emergence, in the future, of more projects aimed at being the best in their category. Meanwhile, we can enjoy these 12 excellent apps.