A thick, slimy layer of mucous matter is spreading along the Sea of Marmara, near Istanbul, damaging marine life and the Turkish fishing industry.
Sea mucus, or marine mucilage, is a natural green sludge that forms when algae are overloaded with nutrients as a result of hot weather and water pollution.
- Turkish spies “kidnap” in Kenya the nephew of Fethullah Gülen, Erdogan’s arch enemy
- Turkish President Calls Israel a “Cruel Terrorist” State After Jerusalem Riots
- More than 200 detainees in Turkey on May Day
It was first found in Turkey in 2007, but it has also been found in the Aegean Sea near Greece.
Experts say it is due to pollution and climate change.
“A real catastrophe”
The marine mucilage currently covering large areas of the Sea of Marmara, which connects the Black Sea with the Aegean Sea, is believed to be the largest in history and is wreaking havoc on local communities.
Ships crossing the Sea of Marmara have to navigate through this gray mud, and some fishermen cannot work because this slimy layer clog their engines and networks.
Divers have also reported that large numbers of fish and other species die from suffocation.
Professor Bayram Ozturk, from the Turkish Marine Research agency, warned that these problems will continue unless new investments are made to treat and purify the sewage that is extracted from Istanbul.
“Due to the excessive growth of the mucilage, several species are threatened [incluidas] oysters, mussels and starfish, “Ozturk told the BBC. “It is a real catastrophe.”
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan promised to save the country’s coastline.
“Hopefully, we will save our seas from this calamity that is mucilage,” Erdogan said.
The president blamed raw sewage that are discharged into the sea, as well as to rising temperatures.
His government has sent a team of 300 people to inspect possible sources of contamination.
“My fear is that if this spreads to the Black Sea … the problem will be huge. We need to take this step without delay, ”he said.
IT MAY INTEREST YOU
- The giant sinkhole begins to swallow a house in Mexico | PHOTOS
- Facebook suspends Donald Trump until 2023
- How is the innovative nuclear reactor “Natrium” that Bill Gates and Warren Buffett will build in the US?
- The majority of patients with coronavirus in Chile did not want to be vaccinated
- “¡Miserables!”: Maduro criticizes the US for excluding Venezuela from donating vaccines
- The luxuries of Nicolás Maduro: the payment of US $ 60,000 to the singer Bonny Cepeda and other waste in recent years