The Vatican introduced in the Code of Canon Law an article that contemplates pedophilia, specifically the crimes of abuse against minors committed by priests, a measure demanded by the victims.
As of this Tuesday, the crime against minors is typified in the new version of the Code in a specific canon.
According to the reform of the Code of Canon Law announced by the Vatican, the limitation periods are extended and the victims are compensated.
Pope Francis wanted to review criminal discipline in order to speed up and toughen penalties against priests who sexually abuse minors in order to eradicate one of the phenomena that has most discredited the Catholic Church.
In a document signed by the pope on May 23, the Argentine pope, who promised zero tolerance for pedophilia by priests, acknowledged the damage caused and hopes that by defining the crime, it will be possible to “prevent greater evils and heal wounds. caused by human weakness ”.
Therefore, the Code of Canon Law promulgated by Pope John Paul II on January 25, 1983 is modified.
Therefore, crimes against minors by priests will be considered by the section entitled “Crimes against life, dignity and human freedom” and will now include “the crime against the sixth commandment of the Decalogue with a minor or a person habitually affected by the imperfect use of reason or with a person to whom the law recognizes similar protection ”.
The priest who induces a minor to “participate in pornographic exhibitions” or who conserves images of child pornography will also be sanctioned (sanction that can lead to expulsion from the Church).
IT MAY INTEREST YOU
- The shocking moment when Israel bombs the headquarters tower of the AP and Al Jazeera agency in Gaza | PHOTOS AND VIDEO
- Horror in Gaza: Israeli bombing kills 8 children and 2 women from the same family
- The stunning photo showing the fight between Israel’s “Iron Dome” and Hamas missiles
- From the turnstiles to the polls: How Chilean students pushed the Constituent Assembly
- 6 maps showing how the Palestinian territory has changed in recent decades
- Who are the Israeli Arabs and what is their role in the current escalation of violence?