Deaths by covid-19 in Peru they are more than double the amount recorded up to now.
Authorities reported this Monday that in the South American country more than 180,000 people have died by coronavirus, which is 2.5 times more than the figure that was had of almost 70,000.
- Vaccine Tourism: Directions, Websites, and Tips in a Guide to Getting Doses in the US
- Ecuador requested 18 million doses of the Sputnik V vaccine from Russia
- The overflow of deaths from coronavirus does not give truce to Uruguay
This also places Peru as the country with the highest per capita death rate in the world in the pandemic.
The new number is consistent with the so-called “excess deaths,” a measure of how many more people are dying compared to trends in previous years.
The president of the Council of Ministers Violeta Bermúdez indicated that the death toll was reviewed by a council of Peruvian and international experts.
“We believe it is our duty to make this updated information public,” Bermúdez said.
The highest rate in the world
Peru has been one of the countries most affected by the pandemic in Latin America, with a saturated public health system and a crisis due to lack of oxygen tanks.
So far, deaths from the pandemic have only included deaths from symptomatic patients with a positive covid-19 test.
However, the National Death Information System showed that there was an underestimation of deaths.
In April, the Executive created a panel of experts to review the figures.
With the information as of May 22, the total number of deaths from covid-19 was established at 180,764, a large increase compared to the 69,342 that had been counted.
Neighbors Colombia and Bolivia have registered 88,282 and 14,000 deaths, respectively. In contrast, Brazil has one of the highest death toll in the world, with more than 460,000.
But Peru now has the highest number of deaths from covid-19 in the world in relation to the size of its population, (about 32.5 million): about 500 deaths per 100,000 inhabitants.
Hungary previously had the worst number of deaths per capita with a rate of 300 per 100,000 people.
IT MAY INTEREST YOU
- The shocking moment when Israel bombs the headquarters tower of the AP and Al Jazeera agency in Gaza | PHOTOS AND VIDEO
- Horror in Gaza: Israeli bombing kills 8 children and 2 women from the same family
- The impressive photo showing the fight between Israel’s “Iron Dome” and Hamas missiles
- From the turnstiles to the polls: How Chilean students pushed the Constituent Assembly
- 6 maps showing how the Palestinian territory has changed in recent decades
- Who are the Israeli Arabs and what is their role in the current escalation of violence?