With the arrival of iOS 14.5 and watchOS 7.4, the possibility of unlocking an iPhone with Face ID with an Apple Watch is activated. Some users have experienced Problems that cause the iPhone not to be unlocked with the Apple Watch. Luckily, there are several ways you can try to fix it and take advantage of this convenient feature.
Try this when your iPhone won’t unlock with Apple Watch and a mask
First of all, it never hurts to know what are the requirements of this new function. To be able to take advantage of it, you will need an iPhone with Face ID, that is, at least an iPhone X. And the Apple Watch must be a Series 3 onwards. Both must have at least versions iOS 14.5 and watchOS 7.4, respectively (you can check it in Settings> General> Information).
With this verified, it is time to check if the functionality is activated. To do this, take your iPhone and go to Settings> Face ID and Code (you must enter your code) and go to the section Unlock with Apple Watch. The name of your watch should be displayed there and the button should appear as active.
You also have to keep in mind that this function of unlocking the iPhone with the Apple Watch requires having active bluetooth and Wi-Fi antennas. Otherwise, both devices will not be able to communicate and unlocking will not take place.
You may have removed the unlock code from Apple Watch in the past. Well, you will need to activate it again to be able to enjoy the function. On your iPhone, go to the Watch app> Code and make sure that code is activated or create one, in addition to having the wrist detection also activated. You can take the opportunity to unlock the Apple Watch with the iPhone, which is quite comfortable.
If you still have problems unlocking the iPhone with the Apple Watch and a mask
It is possible that even with all this you have not resolved the problems of unlocking the iPhone with an Apple Watch and the mask. Therefore, you should take into account these indications:
- Turn off and on both devices. Sometimes the most difficult problems are solved in this way.
- Keep in mind that the unlock range is a distance of about two meters between iPhone and Apple Watch.
- If when you unlock the iPhone you hit the lock button on your Apple Watch, next time you will have to enter the code.
- Whenever you take your watch off and put it back on, the first time you try to unlock with a mask, it will ask for the code.
- There are places where the antennas have interference and this feature does not work. An example is the elevators.
If all this fails, it is best to go to Apple’s support service. Although most likely they will ask you to do a complete restore of both devices to see if the unlock problem is fixed. It can be a good time to “clean” your devices.