More information

The forest fire declared on Thursday in the southwest of Tenerife remains “uncontrolled”, according to Jorge Parra, a technician with the General Directorate of Security and Emergencies of the Government of the Canary Islands. The teams have at least managed to consolidate their perimeter, according to sources from the regional Executive. The fire has advanced overnight despite the effort of 130 troops, it has already affected 2,800 hectares and, for now, is out of extinguishing capacity, according to the Canarian president, Ángel Víctor Torres. The chief executive has stressed that the flames have not reached the population of Granadilla de Abona (51,200 inhabitants) and have not affected urban centers. The fire entered the Teide National Park yesterday afternoon, although it has already been extinguished with “minimal” effects due to the absence of vegetation, except “a little scrub.”

Some 300 people will participate in the extinction efforts this Saturday, in addition to five helicopters and at least two seaplanes. The Emergency and Security Coordination Center (Cecoes) 112 has reported that throughout the night the ground troops have been working on the two existing flanks (the northwest, which goes into the Teide National Park; and another one further southeast, in areas of lower altitude than the first). However, the Government spokesman, Julio Pérez, explained late at night that “within the seriousness the general situation is better than that of Friday morning, given that the fire fronts, which are several,” have They could begin to be fixed by reducing their displacement and having the defense line identified ”.

The fire broke out at 11:45 this Thursday in the Chajaña ravine, in the pine forests of the Corona Forestal Natural Park in the municipality of Arico, in the southwest of Tenerife. It is a wooded area with a steep slope and deep ravines and away from urban centers, which has prevented evacuations from being necessary. The mayor of Arico, Sebastián Martín, has advanced that the exact point where the fire originated has already been detected and that the Civil Guard is investigating the causes.

During the night, the containment work has been intensified by the extinction teams, made up of 130 people. Today temperatures are expected to give a truce in the area, although the wind is not expected to abate. The State Meteorological Agency (Aemet) predicts that today there may be very strong gusts, with maximum speeds of 70 kilometers per hour.

Disclaimer: If you need to update/edit/remove this news or article then please contact our support team Learn more