For Benjamin Reyes
The sixteenth edition of the Festivalito de La Palma, which closed this Saturday, hosted a huge number of shootings in the La Palma Rueda section, from which 99 short films emerged, being Soh-yun, from Octavio Guerra and Rafa Navarro, the most highlighted by the jury.
All works shot expressly, under the motto I am not an algorithm, were screened on Friday at the Millenium multiplexes in Los Llanos de Aridane. Yesterday the most outstanding short films were exhibited, in the Plaza de España of Los Llanos de Aridane, in a closing gala that featured the presentation of the comedian Kike Pérez and the actor Luifer Rodríguez, including a performance by the cellist Ángel Luis Quintana.
The essence of the Festivalito is filming in situ and a handful of filmmakers took on the challenge that this genuine appointment with the seventh art on La Palma presents them every year, that of shooting a short film of between 1 and 4 minutes in a few days to present it to the competition section. Any corner of La Palma is likely to become a location. Consequently, the result is usually mostly anecdotal, although there are always highly estimable works.
The jury of the Andromeda section (for directors with experience who have previously participated in other festivals), made up of by Sonia Bautista Alarcón, co-director of the Madrid film festival and president of the New Filmmakers Platform; José Alayón, filmmaker and producer at El Viaje Films; Marina González, producer of El Viaje Films; and the director Alba González de Molina, decided to award the Andrómeda Most Outstanding Short Film award to Soh-yunby Octavio Guerra and Rafa Navarro.
For its part, Lyra’s Most Outstanding short film (category amateur), whose jury was made up of the sound designer Daniel Mendoza, the projectionist Pepe Park and Benjamín Reyes (programmer of the DocuRock festival), ended up in the hands of Error, by Rodrigo Kunz, for “his refined aesthetics and his great technical work in assembly”. A true photography course in just four minutes.
The interpreter Virginia Park was valued as the most outstanding actress by Soh-yun. While the most prominent actor was Lamberto Guerra for Our father. For its part, Requiem for the party, by David Pantaleón, will be distributed by international festivals for a year by Digital 104.
Likewise, the jury decided to award the 1,000 euros in audiovisual material (provided by Sputnik Rental) to Gasolineby Víctor Hubara; the 500 euros in audiovisual material to Our fatherby Gerson Ramos; and the 300 euros in audiovisual material to Humanoidsby Himar Soto.
The Star of the public for the most outstanding short film (Miguel Brito Award) went to the hands of Algorithmby Rodrigo Sánchez Picazo, a hilarious short film that provides dance advice.
“We are very happy with the participation. I believe that it has once again been exemplary by all the filmmakers who have come to La Palma ”, said José Víctor Fuentes, director of the film contest, highlighting“ the coexistence that has been created between the filmmakers and with the people of the island , complying at all times with the health protocol ”.
The Festivalito is sponsored by the Cabildo de La Palma, through the Ministry of Culture and Historical Heritage, and the Ministry of Tourism; the town councils of Los Llanos de Aridane and El Paso, as well as by the Government of the Canary Islands through the Canarian Institute for Cultural Development and Promotour.
Winners XVI Festivalito de La Palma
- Star to the most outstanding short film Andromeda: Soh-yunby Octavio Guerra and Rafa Navarro.
- Star of the jury for the most outstanding short film Lyra (Roberto Rodríguez Award): Error, by Rodrigo Kunz.
- Special Distribution Award (awarded by Digital 104): Requiem for the partyby David Pantaleón.
- Star for Most Outstanding Actor: Lamberto Guerra for Our father.
- Star for Most Outstanding Actress (Pilar Rey Award): Virginia Park for Soh-yun.
- Most Outstanding Photography Star: Zhana Gyordana for all of her work in various works.
- Star to the most outstanding sound: Emilio González for Sagittarius.
- Most Outstanding Original Music Star: Jonay Armas for Requiem for the party.
- Star of the public for the most outstanding short film (Miguel Brito Award): Algorithmby Rodrigo Sánchez Picazo.
- La Palma Starry Sky Special Award for the one who most highlights the vastness of the night on the island: Sidereal algorithm.
- Arcoíris-Love Festival special award to the short film that makes visible the values of equality and non-discrimination: Clash of textures.
- Special Biosphere Reserve award for a short film that highlights the natural values of the island of La Palma: Counterfugue.