Bremen –

For Werder Bremen, May 22nd will go down in the club’s history as a dark day. The North Germans lost 4-2 to Borussia Mönchengladbach after a long period of desperate home appearance – and have to start the bitter step into the second division for the second time since 1980. Not only the professionals and employees were nervous on Saturday afternoon – the fans were also very frustrated. However, it partially discharged in an unpleasant way.

  • Werder Bremen is relegated from the Bundesliga for the second time
  • 2-4 home defeat against Borussia Mönchengladbach
  • Confrontations between fans and police

Because after the game there were clashes with the police around the Weser Stadium.

Werder Bremen descends: Police take action against fans

Fans had already ignited pyrotechnics when the Bremen team bus arrived at the stadium. The police checked several suspects, made reports and issued reprimands.

The police also had to point out compliance with the corona and distance rules.

Around 2000 Werder Bremen fans had gathered at the Weser Stadium. The police secured the arena with a large contingent.

After the end of the game and the sealed relegation of the Bundesliga, things got hectic in front of the stadium: After the police removed a barrier on the east curve, some supporters took the opportunity and tried to get into the stadium. The emergency services opposed the fans, reports said the officers were pelted with bottles, the emergency services responded with the use of pepper spray, among other things. Two people were arrested. It was a group of around 200 aggressive supporters.

Werder Bremen fans and police officers in front of the Weser Stadium

After the game, several fans tried to get to the Weser Stadium and the Werder Bremen team. There were clashes with the police.

The fans in front of the stadium – around 2000 had finally gathered there – demanded, among other things, the expulsion of sports boss Frank Baumann (45). “Board out” calls could also be heard.

The fans apparently wanted to confront the team of interim coach Thomas Schaaf (60). But she had already left the stadium through a side entrance. When the police announced this, the situation calmed down in the evening. (kos)

//dmn.functions isn’t loaded yet
function getCookie(a) {
var b = document.cookie.match(‘(^|;)s*’ + a + ‘s*=s*([^;]+)’);
return b ? b.pop() : ”;
var tcf_cookie = getCookie(“tcf_facebookPixel”) == “true”;
if (tcf_cookie) {
s.parentNode.insertBefore(t,s)}(window, document,’script’,
fbq(‘init’, ‘256164728077847’);
fbq(‘track’, ‘PageView’);

window.dmn.centralData.dependencies.push({“type”:”facebook”,”sources”:”window.fbAsyncInit = function () {n” +
” FB.init({n” +
” appId: ‘1628351574121447’,n” +
” status: true,n” +
” cookie: true,n” +
” xfbml: true,n” +
” version: ‘v2.5’,n” +
” oauth: truen” +
” });n” +
” };n” +
“n” +
” (function (d, s, id) {n” +
” var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];n” +
” if (d.getElementById(id)) { return; }n” +
” js = d.createElement(s);n” +
” = id;n” +
” js.src = “”;n” +
” fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);n” +
” }(document, ‘script’, ‘facebook-jssdk’));”})

Disclaimer: If you need to update/edit/remove this news or article then please contact our support team Learn more