This Friday, the World Health Organization (WHO) noted that the deaths caused directly or indirectly by the pandemic of coronavirus they would have been between double and triple those officially reported globally. This would place the number of deaths from the disease between 6 and 8 million, compared to the 3.4 million officially reported.
SIGHT: WHO tells Chile that this is not the time to relax measures against the coronavirus
In the region of Americas, the real number of deaths related to the disease would have been between 1.2 and 1.5 million in 2020, instead of the 900,000 reported, according to estimates made by the WHO in the framework of the preparation of their World Health Statistics and which are largely based on mathematical modalizations.
- WHO asks to address “immediate” the “humanitarian needs” in conflict in the Middle East
- The variant of the coronavirus detected in India: What is known so far?
- The second year of the coronavirus pandemic is killing more people warns WHO
On Europe deaths would have been between 1.1 and 1.2 million, that is, double the 600,000 reported deaths.
SIGHT: WHO: Available and Approved Vaccines Effective Against “All Variants” of COVID-19
“Direct deaths by COVID-19 represent a fraction of the true impact of the pandemic”Stated the data analyst of the WHO, William Msemburi.
The estimate has been made mainly taking into account the total number of deaths that could have been expected based on the evolution of mortality observed in previous years, which was altered by the pandemic, he explained.
SIGHT: WHO asks to address “immediate” the “humanitarian needs” in conflict in the Middle East
“The reports offer an incomplete picture of the situation, not least because many people died before passing a COVID-19 test.”Added Msemburi.
The Americas and Europe are the regions that offer the most complete information on mortality rates at the national level in 2020.
Statistics have managed to safely capture that last year there were 3 million additional deaths in the world, up from 1.8 million deaths directly attributed to COVID-19 as of December.
It is certain that many others died from the impact of the pandemic on health systems, which had to interrupt treatments for chronically ill patients and limit patient care as much as possible, while the emergency of the coronavirus deterred or prevented others from going to the hospitals
Msemburi commented that, on the other hand, some deaths were avoided, as in the case of those caused by the flu – due to the reduction in social contacts – and due to traffic accidents, due to mobility restrictions.
According to WHO, only 40% of countries register at least 90% of deaths and their causes, which indicates the underreporting that must also be observed in the context of the pandemic.
IT MAY INTEREST YOU
- The shocking moment when Israel bombs the headquarters tower of the AP and Al Jazeera agency in Gaza | PHOTOS AND VIDEO
- Horror in Gaza: Israeli bombing kills 8 children and 2 women from the same family
- The impressive photo showing the fight between Israel’s “Iron Dome” and Hamas missiles
- From the turnstiles to the polls: How Chilean students pushed the Constituent Assembly
- 6 maps showing how the Palestinian territory has changed in recent decades
- Who are the Israeli Arabs and what is their role in the current escalation of violence?