Stabbings, churches burned ... hoaxes about the crisis in Ceuta

Given the arrival of immigrants to Ceuta, since last May 17 hoaxes and misinformation have not stopped circulating that relate these to alleged fires in schools, rapes, stabbings, etc. We review some of those that we have denied in Maldita.es. And remember, if you receive content and you doubt its veracity, do not share it. You can also send it to our WhatsApp service (+34 644 22 93 19) so that we can verify it.

The hoax that a school in Ceuta has been burned on the night of May 17

The hoax that a school in Ceuta has been burned on the night of May 17
Assigned

“The people who have entered the city have occupied at least four schools and one of them has been set on fire,” says the ABC newspaper in an article published on May 18 in relation to the arrival of immigrants to Ceuta on May 17. Other messages are also circulating on social networks that assure that the immigrants who arrived in the last hours through the Ceuta border with Morocco have “invaded” and “destroyed” public schools in the autonomous city. These messages are accompanied by an image of the Colegio Maestro Juan Morejón with an open door stating that “the doors have been loaded” of this center and that they are destroying it.

It’s a hoax. From Maldita.es we have contacted all the public, private and subsidized schools of the autonomous city as well as the institutes and they have assured us that “there has been no type of destruction or incident” in their centers. The Ceuta firefighters also deny that there has been a fire in a school in Ceuta in the last hours and the Ceuta National Police affirms that they have “no material evidence of any fire or any criminal act in a school.” Ministry of Education of the autonomous city indicates that they have no evidence that there has been any fire or altercation in the centers and that, although “there were hoaxes about entry into schools, no one has confirmed any of that.”

Hoaxes about rapes and stabbings allegedly committed by immigrants

Various hoaxes have also circulated in recent hours linking immigrants who arrived in Ceuta with rapes, assaults and stabbings.

A Twitter account called @CeutaNoticia has published a message saying that “there are already stab wounds in the street” and that “there are already dead.” It’s a hoax. The National Police has told Maldita.es that it has no record of stabbings or deaths from this cause and the tweet has already been deleted. In fact, the account that posted the message is a troll account that has already been deleted.

Hoaxes about stabbings allegedly committed by immigrants
Hoaxes about stabbings allegedly committed by immigrants
Assigned

This same account has spread other hoaxes indicating that there were “rapes and stabbings on the agenda in Ceuta” or that two women have been stabbed in the center and they were in critical condition. As we say, the National Police of Ceuta has no record of any of the statements made by this account.

A publication on Twitter also claimed that “there are 5 women who have been raped so far at night in Ceuta.” The profile impersonates the Vozpópuli media and is shared with messages such as “this is inadmissible, something must be done now” or “numerous deaths and rapes, the army deployed, Spain is at an undeclared war.”

Bulo Vozpópuli
Bulo Vozpópuli
Assigned

It’s another hoax. The account is not the official one of Vozpópuli and we have already denied other publications of the same profile. In addition, as we say, the National Police in Ceuta assures Maldita.es that “they have no record of violations carried out by immigrants.”

No, this image of a burning car is not related to the current arrival of immigrants to Ceuta: it has been circulating since at least 2014

Hoax on Ceuta
Hoax on Ceuta
Assigned

A tweet accompanied by two photos, one of people on top of a border fence and the other of a burning car, states: “ALERT in CEUTA. Unrest continues to escalate rapidly in Ceuta and reach worrying levels. Several young migrants have set fire to to a private vehicle when the owner refuses to hand over his belongings. ” But it is a hoax that these images have something to do with the arrival of thousands of immigrants to Ceuta on May 17, 2021: the first photo is of Melilla in 2014 and the photo of the burning car has been circulating on the internet since at least 2014.

No, ‘El Mundo’ has not published that “the largest Catholic church in Ceuta has burned after a night of riots”: it is a montage and the photo is of a church in Plasencia (Extremadura)

Hoax The World
Hoax The World
Assigned

Likewise, the capture of an alleged article in El Mundo entitled: “The largest Catholic Church in Ceuta burns after a night of riots.”

It is also a hoax: it is a montage made from another article about a fire in Plasencia (Extremadura).

In situations like this, it is common for misinformation to spread at a much higher rate that only aggravates a situation that is already delicate, so if you receive content related to these events that you do not trust, it is important that you do not spread it with your contacts. You can also send it to us through our WhatsApp service (+34 644 22 93 19) so that we can verify it. And above all, trust only official sources.

.

Disclaimer: If you need to update/edit/remove this news or article then please contact our support team Learn more

Leave a Reply