The India this Wednesday exceeded 250,000 deaths from coronavirus covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic that has hit the gigantic country of 1.3 billion people hard, according to official data.
SIGHT: Everything you need to know about the news in India
According to the Ministry of Health, 4,205 people died in the last 24 hours, bringing the total death toll to 254,197 since the start of the pandemic.
SIGHT: Why Should We Be Concerned About the Indian “Double Mutant” Variant of Coronavirus
The number of additional infections was almost 350,000, for which the total accumulated cases stands at 23.3 million.
- India: the price of air tickets soars due to the exodus of the rich escaping the coronavirus
- “Everywhere you look there are ambulances and dead bodies”: how the second wave is devastating the most populous state in India
- India’s cemeteries and crematoriums are overwhelmed by second wave of coronavirus
The pandemic appears to be subsiding in major cities, but the virus is rampant in India’s vast rural interior, where two-thirds of the population live.
Many experts believe that the true numbers are probably underestimated.
“The deaths are much more numerous than our official data reveals,” Anant Bhan, an independent researcher on health policy and bioethics, told AFP.
“Even a figure three or four times higher would be an understatement,” he added.
IT MAY INTEREST YOU
- They arrest 30 soldiers accused of forced disappearance in Mexico
- Colombia: Relatives break into hospital and “steal” body of a patient killed by coronavirus | VIDEO
- “Poverty in Ecuador has increased alarmingly”: 4 urgent challenges that Guillermo Lasso must face
- Japan decides to dump processed water from the Fukushima nuclear power plant into the Pacific
- The shocking moment when a drug dealer kills a policeman at a traffic control