Prime Minister of Thailand, Prayut Chan-ocha, will have to face a fine of 6,000 bat (190 dollars or 158 euros) for not wearing a mask during a work meeting held this Monday.
SIGHT: Thailand sets new record of nearly 1,000 daily coronavirus cases
The governor of Bangkok, Aswin Kwanmuang, reported in a message on social networks that the prime minister violated the rule that came into force today and makes the use of a face mask mandatory at all times outside the habitual residence.
- Thailand: Bangkok closes 200 bars due to coronavirus outbreak
- Coronavirus: Bill Gates’ forecast on when and how it will return to normal
- North Miami Beach Mayor Offers Free COVID-19 Vaccines to International Tourists
During an official meeting on Monday morning at the Government House, Prayut addressed the rest of the participants without wearing a mask, an image that caused many Thais to criticize the president on social networks.
After the controversy, the police went to the prime minister’s office to hand him the fine, Aswin reported.
Since this Monday and for two weeks, a series of restrictions due to the pandemic are in force in Bangkok that also include the closure of public parks, libraries, museums and massage rooms, among others, while meetings of more than 20 people are prohibited.
These restrictions are in addition to others that were already applied in much of the country since the beginning of April, at the beginning of the third wave, such as the closure of schools, the prohibition of the sale of alcohol in bars and restaurants and the limits of the opening hours in shopping centers.
The health authorities confirmed this Monday more than 2,000 new cases and 8 deaths, which gives a total figure since the beginning of the pandemic of more than 57,500 infected and 148 deaths.
Thailand – with a population of almost 70 million inhabitants – began vaccinating against covid-19 on February 28, but to date it has only inoculated about 972,204 people (1.4% of the population), of which that more than 177,400 have received the second dose, given the slow supply.
What is the coronavirus that emerged in China and how is it transmitted?
IT MAY INTEREST YOU
- They arrest 30 soldiers accused of forced disappearance in Mexico
- Colombia: Relatives break into hospital and “steal” body of a patient killed by coronavirus | VIDEO
- “Poverty in Ecuador has increased alarmingly”: 4 urgent challenges that Guillermo Lasso must face
- Japan decides to dump processed water from the Fukushima nuclear power plant into the Pacific
- The shocking moment when a drug dealer kills a policeman at a traffic control