India reported this Sunday about 350,000 new cases of coronavirus in 24 hours, a world record, after which the authorities decided to extend the confinement in the capital New Delhi for a week.
LOOK: Everything you need to know about the news in India
“We have decided to extend the confinement for a week … The ravages of the coronavirus continue and there is no truce. Everyone agrees to extend the confinement ”, the capital’s head of government, Arvind Kejriwal, said in a video statement.
SIGHT: Why Should We Be Concerned About the Indian “Double Mutant” Variant of Coronavirus?
The country, with 1.3 billion inhabitants, is facing a terrible wave of the virus with 349,691 new cases and 2,767 deaths from covid-19 in the last 24 hours, which constitutes a national record since the beginning of the pandemic.
- “Everywhere you look there are ambulances and dead bodies”: how the second wave is devastating the most populous state in India
- India registers a record of more than 2,000 deaths from coronavirus in one day and almost 300,000 new infections
- India’s cemeteries and crematoriums are overwhelmed by second wave of coronavirus
The capital, with 20 million inhabitants, is the city hardest hit by the epidemic. His one-week confinement began last Monday to try to relieve pressure on hospitals, faced with a severe lack of oxygen.
The crisis once again brought to light the deterioration of the Indian health system, while the anger of those who accuse the federal government of a lack of preparation in the face of this epidemic wave increases.
In the last seven days, India has registered more than two million new cases, an increase of 58% over the previous week, according to data compiled by AFP.
What is and how the coronavirus that emerged in China is transmitted
IT MAY INTEREST YOU
- They arrest 30 soldiers accused of forced disappearance in Mexico
- Colombia: Relatives break into hospital and “steal” body of a patient killed by coronavirus | VIDEO
- “Poverty in Ecuador has increased alarmingly”: 4 urgent challenges that Guillermo Lasso must face
- Japan decides to dump processed water from the Fukushima nuclear power plant into the Pacific
- The shocking moment when a drug dealer kills a policeman at a traffic control